Help I have stuff growing in my gravel

jeffminsc

Small Fish
Sep 17, 2005
*SICK* I have a white fungus type materal growing in gravel. I have just started this tank. I do not know what it is but I am shure it is not good. The tank is a 29 gal fresh water tank. any and all help I can get would be greatly needed.

jeffminsc

Small Fish
Sep 17, 2005
I have not as of yet, I will but I would like to know what it is. I have had fish tank before and never had this problem. let you know how it turns out.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
a lot of times rotting food will take on the appearance of something growing...could that be what it is? At any rate I'd agree the best way to get rid of it is going to be doing a gravel vac.

jeffminsc

Small Fish
Sep 17, 2005
Thanks for all your help. I cleaned the gravel and cut back on the food and all seems to be going well. It has not returened since I have done this. changed about 20% of the water the other day and it looks great. just a note: I got a rena filstar xp1 filter and I cant tell you the improvment of how cler the water is. I have had this tank set up befor and never have I had such clear wter. But I must admit I did not know much about taking care of the tank...still learning but I hope to have a healthy, happy tank this time.