Help Identify ME!!!

Leslie

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2006
St.Petersburg,Fl
I've caught 2 fish in the grass flats of Tampa Bay. Can anyone help identify them. They are really cool. They do swim tail up & the mouth angles out to eat. The eat both the algae & brine that i put in the tanl. The do camoflauge from browns & creams to black & white.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
First: It is VERY irresponsible of you to take a living creater and put it in captivity when you do not even know what it is and what requirments are needed to support it and provide a healthy environment.

and secondly:Correct me if I'm wrong as I do not live near the ocean, but is it not illegal to remove them from the ocean without a commercial license to do so?

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
If you are planning on keeping the fish it would be wise to get an id of it from a lfs so you can determine it's care. While you're there ask if what you did was legal so that you don't get in trouble.
I think that the collection of animals from the ocean is regulated state by state.

Leslie

Small Fish
Mar 3, 2006
St.Petersburg,Fl
Never fails ... some landlocked so & so with attitude has to step up on their soapbox.

I have a 55 gallon tank that is very well maintained. EVERYTHING ... with the exception of the sheet of colorful plant background taped to the back of the tank IS the environment they came from. (tankmates,rocks,plants,driftwood....and so on)

AND YOU ARE WRONG

I do NOT do this for commercial use. It is "PERSONAL". No permits required unless they are game fish or there is a size limit when caught on a pole, endangered species .... and so on.

Where do you think the LFS get their fish???? Not all are bred in captivity,especially the exotics. Do you realize how many of your land locked petstore fish die on the way to them just to bring YOU the pleasure of having them in your tank? What do you think you do when you "buy" a piece of live rock? Those critters come from somewhere.

Let me add this is a natural flats tank, not a reef tank loaded with exotics. We have things like serpent stars, sand dollars, marble blennys, greenbacks, spider crab, hermit crab, pistol shrimp, flounder ....

As a responsible aquarium owner ... I do know the regulations when collecting from our flats!

Next time I need information, I'll just buy a book ....

Don't worry ... if they die I'll just use'em as bait!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
alright guys...let us not let this get out of control here

Leslie: i think people were simply trying to look out for both the environment and your legal standing

Aside from that, Salty Waters makes a legitimate point about collecting species which you do not know how to care for, let alone know what they are regardless of the collection laws. It really is not very environmentally responsible.

I do wish you success with the fish and if you want to get a better ID a more clear picture will definitely help, but it almost looks as if it could be some sort of puffer

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
hey man don't snap...
1. I agreed with you about being able to go and collect fish from the local waters. But it IS illegal in some states.
2. Most people here understand where the livestock comes from.
3. I recommended your LFS for an id since you were unable to do that.
4. FYI. I grew up on an island on the Atlantic Coast all my life until I decided to join the U.S. Air Force.
This is a site for learning and sharing of information. You don't have to participate.