Help identify these guys please

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Limnochromis staneri? I can't find any informational site, but heeres a few pictures - Click
Can anyone find a goo informational site? I actally don't know, its just the closest picture to yours I could find on google. Might have to wait for someone else to chime in;)

Last edited:

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
ummm i doubt it is a panduro, generally only real serious people end up with really rare fish.

They are south American for sure, thus incompatible for your tank.

They will also tear out your plants and rearrange your gravel for you.... Fun fish but need to be with SA/CA fish only.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
ummm i doubt it is a panduro, generally only real serious people end up with really rare fish.

They are south American for sure, thus incompatible for your tank.

They will also tear out your plants and rearrange your gravel for you.... Fun fish but need to be with SA/CA fish only.

LOL trust me i know all to well about how they rearrange the tank, at first and kinda still i thought it was thier method of breeding, as they are mouth broaders and i have read that in the process they will dig a hole and the male will guard the female while she is in that hole, they have done this several times digging holes, and protection while she is in the hole for a couple of days at a time, then they refill the hole, but i have not seen any fry. They've done this probably 3 or 4 times since i rehomed them, and never any fry. Fortunatly i dont have any plants for them to pull out, and they only seem to be aggressive when they are doing this protection in the hole thing. When another fish comes close to the hole the male goes crazy and chases it away its actually interesting to watch.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
they are egg layers, Africans are mouth brooders... Yeah that will get worse when they breed and go serial killer on your tank.... The dig and guard is a precursor for things to come...

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
they are egg layers, Africans are mouth brooders... Yeah that will get worse when they breed and go serial killer on your tank.... The dig and guard is a precursor for things to come...
do you suggest getting rid of them, i believe my lfs will take them, they took some african clawed frogs from me when they got to big and starting eating my smaller fish. I'm worried about the other inhabitants in my tank (look at sig)

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yes, that is what i suggest.

If you want to keep large cichlids you need a dedicated tank. you can only keep a few and it is a battle keeping them from murdering their friends.

I wouldn't suggest it unless you are ready to commit.