Help I'm loosing my puffer

Dec 26, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I'm desperate for some help with this puffer! I think I"m going to loose him. I got him last week, and the next day after I got him he blew up in the tank for no reason. couple days later we moved the tank (stress maybe) then we got a foxface rabbitfish as a present. So we put the rabbit in there. They seemed to get a long just fine. But, now he has a huge white discoloration on his right side that is getting worse. It covers his whole right side now and is swollen, he's loosing the skin by his spikes. You can see the clear spike in him. It is not fuzzy and sticking out. It looks wrinkly just discolored. His fins and eyes are clear with no cloudiness or spots. He was eating up until yesterday. He's up at the top of the tank all the time. The pH was low last week at 7.8 but now it's up to 8.2. Ammonia was around 0.25 but with tank changes I got it down. Nitrites are fine. temp 79-80. I'm at a loss. I wonder if the rabbit stuck him with his venom?..

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
To start with the puffer puffed up for a reason. My inclination is that he was stressed form the ammonia levels. They should be at zero all the time. If this is a porcupine puffer I am quite familiar with this problem. It is all to common for them to ship poor and result in this. provide him with a stable environment, vitamin, and garlic soaked foods, and high water quality.

You ph is fine 7.8-8.4 is generally okay.

Dec 26, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I lost him the next day, and I'm going more on the lines of shipping problem, because of him blowing up the next day after getting him. dbackrat I agree with you that the rabbit didn't do it. But, I'm sure my pH being low and some ammonia present stressed the puffer out more. I was very upset but hope better luck next time!
thanks for all your help!