Help! it's cloudy!

Hi. I have the Resun Magi-700 submersible filter for my aquarium. I have tried accu-clear and have changed the filter carbon inserts etc, and the water is still very cloudy.

Can anyone tell me why this happens?

they're not over fed. i have 4 members of the fishy clean up squad (2 weather loaches and 2 hillstream loaches)...but can't get the water clear.:confused:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The other thing to think about is the age of the tank. New tanks are going to go through a cycling process. During this process the tank will cloud up. Take a look here http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html And changing filters and filter pads is not the way to fix it as you are just removing the bacteria that is needed for a tank to run properly. Read those stickies they will help.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
You can also use the search function at the top of the screen. Maybe search for something like "cloudy water" or "bacterial bloom" and see what has helped for other people.

Assuming the tank has been set up for less than a couple of months and that the cloudy water is white, not green...you just need to leave the tank alone for awhile and it SHOULD rectify itself. Do your weekly water changes, dont clean your filter or change the cartridges...and see if it clears up. If your tank isn't new, or the cloudy is green...its a different problem and you will have to look at different things in your tank such as overstocking, too much light, not enough light, not enough water changes etc.

What if the filter seems to be less effective than usual? ie the output pipe seems to run at a slower rate?

The tank is only a couple months old, so i will just continue to do my weekly water changes as mentioned above, which i have been doing each week, and hopefully it should clear up.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
During your weekly water change you can take your filter cartridge out and swish it around in used tank water. NEVER rinse it in chlorinated water or you'll kill all of your good bacteria. Doing this might help the flow a bit. Also make sure there isn't anything blocking the intake pipe that would slow the flow down.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Could you tell us something more about this tank? Size (dimensions, if you don't know), population, water readings (ammonia, nitrites, nitrate, pH... whatever you have tests for), age of tank.....