Help me choose some new fish!!

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
Hello,

I am a little bit stuck with what i can put in my 95ltr tank? I currently have 3 mollies (1 male 2 female) 2 swordtails (2 female) 2 fry swordtails, 1 bristlenose pleco. I have good filter, real plants but one fake, gravel and barrel for them to hide.

I have had my tank for 2 months and all water tests are great.

What fish can i put in my tank?

Oh I am looking at getting a male swordtail, but the good fish shop i use only had one male and he didnt look to well, his fins were ripped, so they are treating the tank as we speak.

I've had problems with fish from a certain fish/pet store, wont mention any names!! they had fin rot and wiped out all but one of my original fish, He is fine now and been treated he seems to be strong!!

sorry to go on a bit!!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
if that swordtail male seems a bit old or has ripped fins, I wouldn't get him.

you'll probably get a male out of one of your fry at least...
if not then look around. fish stores will eventually get new stock and new male swordtails.

My suggestion to you is to stick with live-bearers. get more swordtails and mollies. they seem happier in larger groups. :)
what other fish were you thinking about getting?

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
if that swordtail male seems a bit old or has ripped fins, I wouldn't get him.

you'll probably get a male out of one of your fry at least...
if not then look around. fish stores will eventually get new stock and new male swordtails.

My suggestion to you is to stick with live-bearers. get more swordtails and mollies. they seem happier in larger groups. :)
what other fish were you thinking about getting?
Thanks for all the replys,
I wasnt sure what other fish I could put in the tank, I had platies before, but as I had said they got fin rot and they died along with 5 other fish, I had at the time, My mollies seem to be fine, they had tried to mate a few times, so fingers crossed!!

:confused:
ALSO Is it possible for my swordtail who gave birth roughly 5 weeks ago, be pregnant again, even though there is no male swordtail???
still looking for a healthly one at the moment!!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes very possible. 5 weeks is about the normal time in between births. she can have as many as 6 diff broods w/o a male present. then she'll need a male again, and just once lol!

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
ok thanx for that!!

another question the fry are a still small, but i have set up a small 25l tank for them to go in, I have a stingray filter with a pre-filter over the end, I have 2 fake plants, and gravel in the tank, can I put the small fry in the tank, or should i leave them in the breeder tank, that they are in at the moment, I would say they are about 1inch long maybe i little bit smaller.
what should i do???