help me fish in mouth stuck!

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
help me i have a female rainbow fish who is about 3" big. She has tried to eat a baby bristlenose pleco. But has it stuck in her mouth. The pleco is about 3cm long. It is head first in her mouth and upside down. Took it to local fish shop they said they can't help me. She looks uncomfortable and i am not sure if the pleco is alive. The shop said we would have to wait till one or both die which seems really mean. So please help my fish. She cant eat because its stuck. thank you in advance for any help.

Oct 29, 2010
It sounds to me like you have no choice but to euthanize your fish :(

Clove oil is generally considered the most humane way to do so, and can be bought at most health food stores.

Here is a good link explaining how to use it (you'll have to read around the advertisements):
What Is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish?

Here is a discussion on this site about euthanasia:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-general-discussion/29590-death-any-means-necessary.html
Please note, however, that early in that discussion there is some really bad advice, so skip to the most recent pages where there is good stuff :).

I'm sorry you have to deal with such a sad situation with your pets. Best of luck in finding the most humane way to deal with this.

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
i was thinkin about pullin it out and hope for the best. It seems harsh not to try and see if i can save one of them. As i'm not sure if the pleco is dead as its tail moves. I will try and pull it out. Thank you

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
well i have got the pleco out and it was and is still alive. So have put it into main tank and seems ok. The rainbow fish flipped a few times when i pulled it out. She seems calm now but doesn't seem to beable to close her mouth. So i have a hospital tank that i have a swordtail in as it was bein picked on so i have added some salt water (fish salt) and put the rainbow fish in there to let her recover so fingers crossed. Will let you know if she has survived. And thank you for you help.

Lynch_6913

Small Fish
Jan 15, 2011
MN
I'm glad to hear you took the chance and tried to save at least one. Luckly you still have both for now. Some people say "let nature take its place" but I don't believe that's the case when you keep animals in your house, its your job to care for them not natures... good job!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
sometimes it can take a while for a fish to eat another fish, I've caught flathead catfish when they had about 10 inches of another fish sticking out their mouth and northern pike with duckling feet sticking out their mouth. so when I see a fish eating another fish I just let them go. 99% of the time ur only going to loose the one that is being eaten.

squidg

Small Fish
Jan 10, 2010
rainbow fish looks loads better today she has closed her mouth today and seems to be doin well. I'm glad i tried to save her. Thanks