Help me identify my new babies, please

Babs

New Fish
Feb 19, 2008
I think this is probably a common species, but the guy at the pet store didn't know what they were, and neither do I. He thought they were an inadvertent acquisition by the store. They were in a tank with glow-light tetras and dwarf blue gouramis.

I'm sure this would be easy if the photo was better, but I just can't seem to get a decent lighting setup, and my camera keeps focusing on the wrong things! I'm also no artist, but I tried to give you an idea of the colors that are more apparent on close inspection and when they flare (not all that common of an occurrence). They're currently about an inch long by 1/4" high. They use the whole tank and are semi-schooling, although not overly so.

I've had them >24 hours and have not seen them keep any food down (flake, FD bloodworms, brine shrimp), so I'm concerned that they're something exotic that need special food. Please help me help them!

Fish

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
From the picture itself it looks like some sort of barb, but from your drawing the fins look odd? Try to take another picture perhaps with better lighting for the colors and clearer image of the fins. This takes patience, I suggest sitting in front of the tank and waiting for a good shot of one. It is important to identify the fish, especially if they don't seem to be eating.

Babs

New Fish
Feb 19, 2008
Peacock goby

Found out on another forum what my babies are. They're peacock gobies. I know my photo and illustration are pretty bad, but I think you can see the similarities if you check out this photo I found on the Web:

1003-peacock-goby-gudgeon .jpg

Thanks for trying, everyone.