Help me pick my centerpeice fish!

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I have a 55 gallon tank that currently holds a six line wrasse, Ocellaris clown, spotted hawk fish, lawnmower blenny, and a diamond sand sifting goby. I want a nice sized centerpiece to bring everything together but I can't really think of anything that matched my criteria. I'm looking for something that is big but able to live comfortably in a 55 that is active, non aggressive, colorful (preferably with clean sharp lines) reasonably hardy, around $50 and willing to accept flakes. Bonus points go for interesting swimming style.

So any thoughts? I want something like a smaller angel fish but all of the ones I look at are either too small or expensive. Your suggestions don’t have to match my criteria exactly so throw your ideas out there and I’ll decide.

Thanks in advanced!

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Do you have corals? I saw a couple of Potters Angelfish at my lfs the other day and they were pretty cool looking. They are yellow with purple stripes, and they get about 5" so they are bigger than most dwarf angels, yet smaller than the large angels. I've read that they are hit/miss with corals though because some like to nip at corals.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd probably go for a lemonpeel angel if I had no corals. I love their color. They get to about 6", and it seems they'll be fine in your tank size. It should be in your price range, too.

I've noticed that yellow things seem to really show up well in saltwater tanks.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ahhh I agree with the heniocus, or the lemon peel especially as you don't have coral......stay away from the Potters as they have a dismal survival rate and should be kept in the wild until some can figure out how to keep them long term and increase their survival rate. Coral beauty/flame/pygmy are all good choices for a 55g and will no doubt do well in your tank. They pygmy may be a bit small as they only get to about 2-3 inches.....they are active swimmers and very congenial. Coral beauty is a nice fish and relatively inexpensive.....if this is your choice look around at a few as their colour variations differ widely....some are more blue and some more orange.....depending where they come from. Flames are getting fairly expensive around here..... I do like fairy wrasses but they may be difficult to introduce with the 6 line already having territory......

Dr.Gonzo

Large Fish
May 21, 2006
Omaha Ne
I'm loving the lemon peel idea. Good size and color, but I moved my tank last night and accidentally killed the lawnmower Blenny, six line, diamond goby by dumping sand on them. my clown isn't looking so hot ATM either :(

currently I have the clown, spotted hawkfish, clown goby, and neon goby in there and that is all. what should I restock with? give me your suggestions.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would go for a fairy wrasse this time... I think they are more interesting, and they don't have the reputation for being bullies that a lot of sixlines have. Plus you can find one pretty much any color, and you can usually add a pair or trio of them.

In addition to an angel, of course (all SW tanks should have an angel :D)