Help me pick my first fish, I'm kind of picky.

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
I've started running my brand new 20 gallon tank. I don't have a strip light (coming in the mail), but I have everything else. I've decided to start to cycle the tank. I've added Bio-Spira, which says you can add fish instantly, but from what I've read, I should take a week or two. Which leads me to my next order of business: The Fish.

I've looked around for some fish, but most I like are aggressive or picky. I've become attracted to Convicts, but I can't add anything else with them. So I was wondering if you could reccomend a fish that can match some of my wants.

-Not huge (8+ inches)
-Fish with a personality
-Not so hardy that they don't die, but not extremely delicate
-Preferably one that doesn't breed like crazy
-Peaceful
-Slightly Energetic

I'm starting to think that Gouramis would be the best, but some tend to be territorial. I know for sure that I'm getting 2 ADFs, and a couple Black Phantom Tetras. Any suggestions?

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Tetras.

I believe tetras are exactly what you are looking for. Colourful, energetic, put them in a school and they play around and swim together, they don't breed in a normal tank as far as I know, pretty hardy but not overly so, and they are quite peaceful.

You cannot really have more than one gourami- same as a betta- but you could use one as a centerpiece type of thing. Then you could fill the rest out with some tetras, like black skirts, neons or cardinals, rummy nose etc etc.

If you go this route than I suggest getting about 5 of maybe two or three different tetra species, then you have your ADFs and maybe two or three corie cats or shrimp for bottom feeders. This is what I would suggets- I think it would looks awesome.

drake53

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
southern Texas
bala sharks.

they rarely excede 6 inches in the aquarium (unless its over 40 gallons then they can get to 14 inches). their active love to school and dont breed in the aquarium.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You may want to read up on cycling a tank, it sounds like your info is a bit off. If you added your bio spira and nothing else, the bacteria will die off within a day or so without any fish waste to eat. To understand this process, check out the link in my signature below under "cycling a tank." That is a good starting point.

aldo14

Small Fish
Jul 30, 2007
downers grove
definitely go with some cory cats. my favorite is the julii cory. they usually are around 2 in and are peaceful, cute and expressive and will help to keep the tank bottom free of uneaten food. Be sure to get a small group, maybe 3, since they are a shoaling fish and enjoy the company of their own kind. I also have a female betta and she is absolutely gorgeous. The females are not as aggressive as the males and will do just fine in a community tank as long as their tank mates are non aggressive and if you don't have any other long finned colorful fish in there (they may nip on occasion from what I've read.) hope that helps *thumbsups

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
you do not want bala sharks in a 20g. I would second the suggestion to get tetras. Take a look at your local store to see which tetras they have and which ones you kind of like the look of, and then go home and research them a bit. Many tetras only get to be about 2 inches long, so you can get a good school of them in a 20 gallon tank.

To help maximize space, I would also agree with the suggestion of cory cats. They are fun little guys.

So if I were stocking your 20 gallon I would probably put in 3-5 spotted or julii corydoras and 5-7 tetras of the same kind. Maybe white or black skirt tetras.

When did you put the biospira in? Biospira is specifically designed to be put into your aquarium and have it stocked fully immediately, per the directions. I dont know how long it would be ok in your tank w/o it being stocked.

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
ishar: Thanks for the idea, I'll probably get some tetras. I read around on the fish profiles, so I think I'll get some Black Skirts and/or some Cardinals.

MissFishy: Thanks, that site's really helpful! About the Bio-Spira, I was told by the pet store guy that it cycled your tank quicker, but apparently he is wrong. I put it in on Sunday, checked the water levels, and it hasn't done anything. I'll probably just cycle it using the Established Media Method, since my mom has a 5 gallon at her work. Thanks for the help!

Aldo: Hmm, I didn't know about these, but I read up on them and they seem really interesting! If I get a couple, do they interfere with other bottom-dwellers (like ADF's)? Also, I researched around yesterday on female Bettas, and I now want to get one instead of the Gourami. I'm probably going to rescue one at the Petsmart down the road, their "tanks" are just disgusting. I have a small 2.5 gallon sitting around, do you think it would be a good idea to put the Betta in there (again, cycling the tank with my mom's tank) to "recooperate" before I put it in the 20 gallon?

FroggyFox: Thanks I'll probably get a couple Corys.

So, after looking around I have a list. I think this may be too much, so say what you think.

~5 Cardinal Tetras
~3 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Male Platys
1 Female Betta
1 ADF
~3(?) Corys (depending on what my LFS has.)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
In a brand new tank, biospira does an instant cycle assuming that it is fresh and has been kept at proper temperatures (refrigrated). In an empty tank it is not going to do anything to your levels...you have to follow the directions on it and add it to a brand new tank that is going to be immediately stocked.

For a 20 gallon tank, that is going to be way too many fish. Cardinal tetras are cute and colorful...but don't tend to do well in a new tank, I would hold off on those. Tetras do best in groups of at least 5 or so...you see more of their schooling behavior etc. If you really want to get the female betta and tetras, then I'd say your plan should be OK if you take the platies and cardinal tetras. You want to be sure to get at least 3 of any schooling fish (cories, tetras)

Might be a good idea to separate the betta for awhile...maybe not. As long as there is somewhere in the main tank for the betta to get out of current...then it'll be ok.

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
Okay, which tetra do you recommend more? I had 3 Black Phantoms, which are pretty similar (in a 5 gallon), so I have some experience with those. The only problem with the Black Skirts is that they occasionally nip, which coul be bad for the Betta. There are some cave-looking ornaments sitting around (my family used to be big on aquariums), so the Betta thing won't be much of an issue.

Another question: What do you think about the Penguin (Hockey Stick) Tetras? I've read some good things about them, too.

So here's a revised list.

2 Male Platys
5 Tetras (Black Skirt, Cardinal, or Penguin)
1 Female Betta
3 Corys
1 ADF

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The "which tetra" question is pretty much completely up to your preferences...I would say if you want to put them in now, not the cardinals. Plus, you have to consider not just the type but the size. You can fit about 2x as many cardinals somewhere because they are so small. I think that mix still looks pretty heavy for a 20 gallon, but as long as you keep up with maintenance it would probably be OK.

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
Thanks. The tetras will probably depend on price, because I have no preference on another. My tank is a 20 Long, so I think it will accomodate them better. Also, I'll cycle the water with the gravel, so I'll be sure to test religiously until the tank is ready. Thanks for the help!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, I still think that's heavy stocking for even a 20g long. You'll also have issues getting food to the ADF, all those fish will chomp down on everything before the ADF even knows it's feeding time.

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
Yeah, I still think that's heavy stocking for even a 20g long. You'll also have issues getting food to the ADF, all those fish will chomp down on everything before the ADF even knows it's feeding time.

Yeah, I read the FAQ, and I have a pair of long tweezers, to give bloodworms to the ADF. Also, I'll remove the platys and go after the Black Skirts. Here's my revised list yet again.

5-6 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Female Betta
3 Corys
1 ADF

Dec 15, 2007
Tennessee
One final question: Would it be all right to replace the tetras with Tiger Barbs? The tetras at my LFS seemed to be kind of nippy, which would be trouble for my betta. The Tiger Barbs seemed less nippy when they were in schools. The worker said it would be a good idea to put them in schools of 6 for a 20G. Thoughts?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree that the tiger barbs are a more aggressive fish, and they also get bigger than the tetras so I think I'd stick with your last one...

If you're not sure on the tetras then you could also look at harlequin rasboras...they are great little fish too...

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
The cardinal tetras are a favorite of mine as you can have 12+ in the tank of your size if you keep up with the maintence. Although they are small they produce a look that can not be matched by any other fish. When they swim its like watching blue wind blow by. It brightens up any tank.

Harlequin Rasboras are my favorite schooling fish as these guys are incredibly hardy and look extremly interesting with its Orange/Tanish body with black body marks. They are great fish sadly my first school of 8 had died one night. They were my first fish and they lasted 2+ years with me I will always suggest them to anyone because they were just such great joy to own.