HELP ME please im not sure what to do

Jan 31, 2010
A couple of days ago i bought a 5 gallon tank, a heater, water filte and everything else i needed. I also bought an albino rainbow shark and a blue gourami the albino rainbow shark is only maybe an inch or a little less right now but i know they get bigger my question is will the shark be okay in a gallon tank? I only have those two fish in it. Thank you for all your help!!

Feb 27, 2009
A couple of days ago i bought a 5 gallon tank, a heater, water filte and everything else i needed. I also bought an albino rainbow shark and a blue gourami the albino rainbow shark is only maybe an inch or a little less right now but i know they get bigger my question is will the shark be okay in a gallon tank? I only have those two fish in it. Thank you for all your help!!
Since you didn't cycle the tank before adding the fish, you will need to do a lot of large water changes if you hope to keep them alive. 5 gallons is too small for either one of those fish.

sushi*roll

Large Fish
Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
Albino rainbow sharks can grow up to 6inches long, so you'll definetly want to think about upgrading your tank soon. It will take him a few years to grow that size though if he is an inch long as you say (Ive had my red tailed black shark for almost 3 years now and he's just shy of 2 1/2 inches long). The minumum tank requirement for those fish (when full grown) would probably be about 50 gallons i'd say (you could get a 10 or 20 till they outgrow them then get another one etc. but they you get into dreadful MTS).

Also is your gourami a dwarf?? They don't grow as large (about 4inches long for a regular gourami and about 1 1/2inches for a dwarf) and also don't have the tendency to become terretorial as adults. If you don't have a dwarf id say you should have one gourami per 10 gallons (at the least), and they grow much quicker than the shark.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
When you say buying "it" from me, do you mean the shark, the gourami, or the entire tank? You definitely need to take both fish back to the pet store, or buy a larger tank. If you do take both back to the pet store and decide to keep the tank, definitely read up on fishless cycling. Then, you can put a betta or two or three African Dwarf Frogs in there or something.