Help me please This is my first fishtank

Reefer

New Fish
Aug 19, 2009
Ohio, United States
Hello i have a 100 gallon tank and inside i have about 15 convict chiclids. and a few crayfish. There has been alot of growth of mold looking like stuff. Some is black and some is lime green and some is Dark Green. What is this? and what can i do to make it stop. I use a toothbrush and scrub it away. How can i completly make it stop so i dont have to do that anymore. Thanks for the help in advance!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
sounds like some algae. I hope you cleaned that toothbrush really well, so you don't get bad stuff in your tank! You can buy special algae-scrubbers (much like a sponge) at pet stores. You can get ones with handles so you don't have to get your arms too wet!

Reefer

New Fish
Aug 19, 2009
Ohio, United States
Cycle the tank? what are my water parameters? Yes i keep it a constant 78 on the bottom Thats what i was told Lights are on all the time And yes i am doing a 5 gal bucket change a week. I dont know much about tanks i thought it was cool so i bought it from a friend. He said this kind of fish i dont have to do much to it. Is there more i need to do? If so please let me know. I want it to look good all the time. Sorry if im a noob

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
If it's an already extablished tank bought from a friend it'll probably already be cycled. However as you don't know what this is I thoroughly suggest reading up on how to cycle a tank - this literally means getting the nitrogen cycle going within the tank to make the water safe for fish.

Where is this green "slime"? Is it on the glass or on the gravel/substrate?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
You need to do more like a 4- or 5-bucket water change weekly. You'll want to go buy a Python water changer for a tank like that instead of breaking your back toting buckets all afternoon. :)

Also, buy an API Master Test Kit for freshwater. Then test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and post up those numbers. Those are the parameters you were asked for. You'll need this test kit on an ongoing basis so it's a worthwhile investment... just like the Python.

Only have your lights on for 8-10 hours a day. Because of so much light it probably is some type of algae. You didn't set the tank up where a lot of light from a window hits it most of the day, did you?

A quick remedy for the algae is to do a blackout. Completely cover the tank with a dark cloth or even black plastic for about a week. Don't worry, the fish will do okay without feedings for that time. (I've never had crayfish; can they catch the cichlids??) Just feed them well for a couple of days beforehand, then do a good-sized water change, then cover the tank and wait. Lack of light will kill the algae. I would observe the fish first to ensure none of them are sick, and they'll do fine.

Reefer

New Fish
Aug 19, 2009
Ohio, United States
What i was going to do is peal out the top layer of rocks that had the stuff on it. and clean them. Is that smart to do? cause it looks like crap. all different colors. Well ill Try the blackout thing. Yeah the crayfish nip them sometimes but its the convits fault for going after them. i got 4 nice big sized ones in there. and a few babys. Bue they didnt last 24hours.

59fifty

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2009
Val Rasbora said that "you can buy special algea scrubbers (much like a sponge)" MAKE SURE NOT TO USE A SPONGE FROM A LOCAL SUPERMARKET BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOAP IN THEM, my dad made that mistake one time and it killed my 2 mickey mouse platties in my 1 gallon tank within 5 minuts SO BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOU ARE BUYING!!!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
What i was going to do is peal out the top layer of rocks that had the stuff on it. and clean them. Is that smart to do? cause it looks like crap. all different colors. Well ill Try the blackout thing. Yeah the crayfish nip them sometimes but its the convits fault for going after them. i got 4 nice big sized ones in there. and a few babys. Bue they didnt last 24hours.
the convicts will kill the crays when they get bigger....

Just cut back on lighting a lot and get that test kit and a python. A python is really necessary for anything bigger than a 30 gallon.

nikcasper

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2009
dont take em back to the store, keep atleats one, they are scavengers. they eat alot of material that the convicts won't. And if your really thinkin about giving them back, just turn em into food. i live lakeside to lake michigan accross the street and i crayfish all the time and feed the tail meat to my oscars.