Help Me! Soon to be guppy mother! im a beginner!

ok, i just got 2 guppies a copuple of days ago, and the female (maia is her name) is pregnant! the male (bucky) just died yesterday, from some sickness, and i got a new male today (shorty) i really dont know what to do because i have never owned guppies and ive always had barbs and betas! plz help me! any info on baby care and mother care would be great. Maia and Shorty give you their thanks

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
First off, you need to do some research. I'm assuming they are in the same tank so if your male died yesterday of 'some disease' then why would you add another fish to that tank? Did you check the water parameters or anything? Or research to try and find out what killed the first male? Don't ever add fish to an unstable tank, that is just a recipe for disaster *thumbsdow

As far as the pregnant female, you don't really need to do anything special. If you want most of the babies to survive, then you should put her in a breeder net right before she is about to give birth. Right before they give birth they get kind of square, rather than round. If you don't put her in a breeder net, then just make sure there are plenty of plants to use as hiding spots and you should have at least a few survivors.

BTW, livebearers like guppies should be kept with 1 male to every 2-3 females, so that the male doesn't continually harass a lone female. Your lone female is probably going to be harassed by the male constantly because he wants to breed.

Last edited:
MOsborne05 said:
First off, you need to do some research. I'm assuming they are in the same tank so if your male died yesterday of 'some disease' then why would you add another fish to that tank? Did you check the water parameters or anything? Or research to try and find out what killed the first male? Don't ever add fish to an unstable tank, that is just a recipe for disaster *thumbsdow

As far as the pregnant female, you don't really need to do anything special. If you want most of the babies to survive, then you should put her in a breeder net right before she is about to give birth. Right before they give birth they get kind of square, rather than round. If you don't put her in a breeder net, then just make sure there are plenty of plants to use as hiding spots and you should have at least a few survivors.

BTW, livebearers like guppies should be kept with 1 male to every 2-3 females, so that the male doesn't continually harass a lone female. Your lone female is probably going to be harassed by the male constantly because he wants to breed.
Oh, i bought a new tank with clean water and a new filter, so they are in good health, i just need help with taking care of the babies, and do you mean the mother will eat them?

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
They are not in good health because the tank is brand new so therefore it has not cycled. You need to read the beginner sticky's first, they are located at the top of the beginner discussion forum. Pay close attention to the one on cycling, and don't add anymore fish until you understand a little more about fish tanks and the cycling process.

Yes the adult guppies will eat the babies if given the chance. Normally a few will survive but if you want most of them to survive, which could be 20, then you should put them in a breeder net. Just remember though, guppies are prolific breeders so even if you don't put them in a breeder net and a few survive, eventually your tank will become too crowded because they give birth every few weeks or so.

oh, ok, so next time i buy a new tank i will let it run a few days...and i have a question...whats a breeding net? on the other site i went to it mentioned it a lot. and another thing. will Maia have babies for the rest of her life? because if so i cant afford new tanks for them. lol i am in allowance debt up to my eyeballs.......

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Letting it run for a few days will do nothing! Read up on cycling before you do anything else. And yes she will have babies for the rest of her life, but livebearers only live for a couple of years.