Help me stock my tank!

Apr 3, 2006
UK

28g (Cycling) - 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 3 Red Wag Platies

:) Right i have now bought some lighting. Its a 30w Aqua-glo bulb on a 30w Arcadia Fluorecent light controller.
I have partly identified the plants i have got, so far i know i have
ANACHARIS
CABOMBA
BAMBOO PLANT
DRACAENA SANDERIANA
*BOUNCINGS
So down to the job in hand. I want to stock my tank and any setups and suggetions welcome. I am learning quickly but i dont pretend that i have any knowledge.
I quite like the idea of some cory's or some clown loach but i hear the loach get quite large. I also want some java moss but that is as far as i have got.

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
Kuhli loaches! So cute and they eat crud off the bottom of the tank, and they have adorable little whiskered faces. I just got one regular kuhli loach and one chocolate kuhli loach. In the past I've had them in tanks. They like to have company, but tend to hide and borrow right into the gravel.

I'm doing the same thing you are (with less plants) and I really like the gold barbs. They're a bit more mellow than other barbs, and they're a pretty color.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Well are your Red Wag Platies all male/female or are you going to breed them? Then try getting a few Kuhlli Loaches(I cant remember how its spelt).

I like the idea of java moss, so get about 2 things of that maybe some swords, mini swords or other plants like that.

Some other good fish you might think about adding are either serpae tetras and/or a group of 5 neon tetras and that is for the color. Only think about getting them if you know your Platies are not all female or they are not going to be bred. ALL livebearers such as Platies, Mollies and such can store sperm up to 6 months. They can have any where from 5-100 fry so take caution.

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Hi Zen,
I see what you mean about the kuhli loach, cute little critter. Missus says it looks like a snake, but i like it. How large do they grow, i hear they can become quite large. On the gold barb front, i thnk there a bit plain for my taste!

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Hi Guppy,
I am not sure what sex my Red wags are, my tetras either for that matter. I wouldnt know where to start with sexing them!
I like the look of the micro sword plant also. I have just been on plantgeek looking them up!

I also looked up kuhli loaches and its saying 3.5" or more and that they like a sand substrate, i have basic brown/white/black gravel.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yeah, kuhlis get to around 3.5" max, but they actually prefer gravel instead of sand. They can burrow in it better. They like groups, and you'll be able to see them more (ie, they'll hide less) if there are more of them in the tank.

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Hi CAPSLOCK,
I have only got 1.5/2" of gravel at the bottom of my tank will that be okay?

Also my missus is quite keen on getting some ghost shrimp. When we got the tank she has visions of a 'Nemo' tank with all the characters. But I talked her into just sticking with a freshwater tank as a starter tank!

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Yeah i like the look of both the male and female dwarf gourami. Will they be okay in the same tank as my phantom tetras with them being placid fish. My tetras like to chase each other round the tank and the platies as well!

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Still open to any suggestions!
I want as much info and views as i can with this tank so i can stock it right and get a good balance of fish. Suggestions of fish and plants all welcome. I will post some pics as soon as i can get them off my phone so my current setup will become clear!

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
christianblu... If I'm understanding correctly, you are going to need a great deal more light for most of those plants. 1 30w bulb over 28g yeilds only 1wpg. That is just barely enough to grow even the most low light plants.

Cabomba and bamboo plant (Blyxa aubertii) are very high lighting plants. 3wpg+. I don't think that dracaena sanderiana is an aquatic plant. It could live for a short time underwater, but would not last for long.:(

Anacharis may grow. Java fern, hornwort, java moss could grow at your current lighting.

Here is a great link for plant info: www.plantgeek.net

BTW... where did you find the bamboo plant? It's very hard to find.

Apr 3, 2006
UK
I know that the lighting seems to be inadequate. I was recommended by someone on here that i should go for 1.5w per gallon as a rule but budget prohibited it. I was going to buy a t5 setup but it was a little out of my price range. I hate to say it but i asked about t5 setups when i got to my LFS today and they informed me that it was mainly for coral. They asked the size of my tank so i said...

Me: Well its 33.5 inches wide and its 19.5 high.
Woman: Oh im not bothered about the hight that doesnt matter!
Me: (Look at missus, missus looking back thinking dont you dare cause any trouble in here by arguing!)
Me: Oh Okay
Woman: Oh you'll get away with a 30" (passes over 30" bulb) (Grabs 30" Arcadia lighting controller, passes it to me)
Missus: Oh thank you. (Look in her eye like, still dont say a word, i want to go!)
Me: Pays and leaves.

So i wilted, one look from the missus and i was buying the 30w T8, whether i liked it or not.

It fits in with the budget at the moment. LMAO, will have to do.

Oh and the bamboo was in a bundle of plants i bought off the internet.

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I think that fishtrap is right. If you dont get better light the plants will start to die which can cause problems in your tank if they start to decay. Just keep your eye on them. As far as the fish IMO the Powder Blue is the best choice cause the Platies are orange, the Tetras are silver and black, the Kuhlies are yellow and brownish black, and the Powder Blue would stand out and create more color. Just my opinion. And no I wouldnt put 2 Gouramies in there.

Apr 3, 2006
UK
Thanks Guppy,
The Loaches are'nt a permanent fixture. The only definates are the fish that are in the tank now. My 3 tetra's and 3 red wag platies. Any advice on future additions would be a great help! I want as many different ideas as possible so that i can make an educated choice, from a wide range of options. Any build around my 6 current fish will be greatly appreciated.