Help me with my bio-load

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
Here's what I'm thinking.
So far I have 4 danios and 1 young guppy.

I was thinking:
4 smaller danios
2 guppies (1 male, 1 female)
2 corys
ottocinclus
4 ghost shrimp
4 neons
1 ADF

But I know that's way past the upper limit of my 10-gallon. I'm thinking that it's either the danios or the neons, and the shrimp or the ottocinclus.

What do you guys think? I have no problem with regular water changes, and the more water changes/maintenance, the more fun the tank is for me.

<edited to add>
I have some live plants. I got a bunch of cacambras i think. Basically tall, and with small triangular leaves. Not sure if they are doing ok, I only have a 15-watt light, and the light is on well over 12 hours a day. I also have abou5t 1/4 tank thick with a rock/fake plants, and then some more open space on one side.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2005
Savannah
Those fish should be ok in that tank. Not all fish follow the 1" per gal rule. Five one inch neons will probably put out the same or less waste then on five inch angel. I would leave either the ghost shrimp or the adf out though, and maybe don't get the extra four danios. That's just me. The rest and one of the previously mentioned (danios, shrimp, or adf) will be ok though. And yes if you do more water changes you can tend to have more fish, or if you have live plants. Both help get rid of nitrate. And don't keep the light on for more than 12 hours. The fish don't need it, the plants don't need it, it causes more algae to grow, and it evaporates the tank water faster. 10 hours is sufficient. Look at getting more wpg (more watts) if you want to look into live plants. A good 30 watts would be ideal.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think you ought to get 3 cories and that otto. I wouldn't get anymore danios, since danios really like to have that swimming room. You could get the ghost shrimp with barely anymore addition to your bioload. In a 10G its really important to make sure the different levels of your tank are filled up and none have too many fish. Since you already have fish for your midlevel (danios) the cories would be good for your lower level (and they do best in groups of at least 3). If you just cant stand it w/o adding some other stuff, think about fish that will get along with the ones you already have and will "stay out of each other's way". The adf would probably be ok...the ghosties would probably be ok...an apple snail would be ok. I suggested an otto because he does a really great job as a cleanup crew, better than the other 'critters'.

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to list what I have.

And what I want to have eventually.

So I will be getting 1 more guppy, and no more danios.

Yeah those danios are zooming all over the place.

They're kind of funny. They actually are acting like scavengers, and tend to eat the food more after it's been on the ground than when it's on the surface.