HELP ME!!!!!!!

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
OK i just started a research project for my honors biology high school class. Does anybody have an idea for how to grow some common algae in a matter of days (or shorter??) I have lots of algae in my fish tank but none in my test jars. I have tried adding nutrients (miracle grow) and i have added light (a grow light) i still am not getting any algae. I even planted some algae from my tank. Is the problem air. If so how can i add air equally to each jar??:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
*laughingc We all try to avoid growing algae in general.Although some have more success than others.:rolleyes:
Algae grows best in stagnant warm water.Excesses of nutrients from your Miracle Grow probably won't work if they're too high.Algae survives on the other things.High Nitrate levels are good I should think,as is Phosphate and high light levels preferably round the clock.Sunlight would be your best bet as it has the broadest spectrum.

Alternativly you could go and harvest some from your local polluted waterway,if you have one.Search out people who own ponds.If your near the sea Kelp is an algae as are alot of other seaweeds.

Hope I've helped some.

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
Thanks for all the help. Plus i think that the miracle grow should help because it is made up of nitrtes and phosphates. Plus i have a "grow light" which is supposed to be as close to real sunlight as possible

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
When I was little I used to put leaves and sticks with water in a jar and leave it in the sun, with in a few days it would be full of algae. I would then catch snails and watch them eat it. I was a wierd kid. I used to catch toads, newts, snakes, turtles... So any way, leaves and sunlight. Always worked for me.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
S-kate, I used to do the same thing. Not with the algae but catching stuff. Lol, I was 17 and my stepbrother and I were still goign to the river behinf =d our house catching tadpoles and snakes and stuff. WE used to secure little apartments oput of river rock for our tadpoles!!! :D lol, good times!

May 12, 2005
Georgia
S-Kate and Shaunna you would have fit right in at my house when I was a child!!!!! We weren't allowed to watch TV and had to make our own fun. Nature has the best entertainment! I never grew out of it. Drives the rest of my family nuts!!!

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Geez, i sooooo miss being able to just take the afternoon and go "exploring", find little "dwarf villages", "hunt" around for that prize grasshopper, lol, I was one of those kids too :eek: - stupid college, messes up everything! lol

coxmaster

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Kansas
Thanks for all the help. I think i might have found the problem. I had added too much miracle grwo and that had killed the algae that had began growing. I just put 300 ML of tank water into my jars and i put some extra fish food and some algae to start growing. I'll give u guys a copy of my report when i finish!