HELP!!! My anemone is dying!

lhowie

New Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My anemone shrunk and looks dead already... I saw some white little stringy stuff coming out of it today. I am a beginner with this saltwater tank and I told my husband not to get any anemones but he still did so I can't even tell what kind of anemone it is that is dying... I know the other one is a carpet anemones which is just fine right now. The anemone that is dying is stryingy and has yellow tips. It's on the sand right now it moved from the rock we bought it with. I think when we first got it it ate a donzel but I dont know what they are living of right now. I know this sounds really bad because I really dont know what I'm doing here and I dont know if there is anything i can do to save this creature. If there is anything i can do to keep it alive and u know what it is please help!!!

Thank you,

Linda :(

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :)

Can you let us know what your readings for salinity, ammonia and nitrates are? How long have you had the anemone? What kind of lighting do you have?

Anemones need a well established tank, excellent water quality and good lighting. This is a great site for information on bubble tip anemones (whether the rose color or the green color): Caring for these beautiful creatures | In living color with more pictures then you will find anywhere

If it's a different kind of anemone, perhaps you can post a picture. Or, check out this site for a visual identification: Melev's Reef - Visual Identification

lhowie

New Fish
Jan 16, 2008
Hello and thank you so much for your answer... It looks like a Sea Anemone but is or was green with yellow tips. I'm going to take a water sample to a fish store today and c what they say I have to do... I have some test kits at home but dont even know how to use it and what the "normal" levels of whatever it should be. We just got this tank a couple of weeks ago from somebody that had it for years already but the guy that was supposed to come around and help us with the tank disappeared on us so now I have to take care of it if I dont want everything to die in it... What does a carpet anemone eat? I dont have a clue but the carpet anemone seams to be doing really good right now. I also noticed that the clown fish was with the carpet anemone more often as with the other one... I dont know if that has anything to do with the other one dying or not but I was reading something online and that person said that the clown fish can keep them alive too if it feeds it and cleans it and so on. Thanks again, Linda

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay a few pointers......Firstly......I would return the carpet anemone to the lfs. It is probably not appropriate for a beginner tank and after it eats a few of your fish if you have any it will probably not make it either and if it does make it they get absolutely huge over dinner plate sized and it will sting anything that comes near it including you. If the other is a sebae chances are it is already on it's way out and there is probably little you can do to save it.

Going forward I would suggest that you do some heave research starting with all the stickies at the top of this forum. Then get some books and read them as if you are starting from scratch because in effect you are. Do not add another living thing to this tank until you have thoroughly researched the tank set up and how to maintain a box with just water in it. Each and every animal that you add should be thoroughly researched as to it's feeding needs and it's environmental needs as there is huge diversity amongst all and compatibility issues, territorial issues, feeding and husbandry issues. Saltwater is a rewarding hobby and can be extremely expensive if you need to replace livestock frequently. An anemone that is dying can poison your whole tank so keep your eye on it, learn how to test your water and when you have problems we need to know the actual details such as size, water conditions, lighting etc......

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you really owe it to these beautiful creatures to give them the best........