Help, my betta is attacking his reflection

May 24, 2003
I just added my betta to a cycled 3G eclipse aquarium. He is flaring up and attacking his reflection. Any ideas how I can eliminate the reflection in the tank. I have a background stuck to the back of the tank though the sides and front are uncovered. Turning off his light doesn't seem to make a difference. Sorry if this is a dumb question..

Thanks
-AquaNewby182-

29G
1 Red Wag Swordtail
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Mickey Mouse Platies
2 Fancy Guppies
4 Zebra Danios
2 Otocinclus
1 Upside Down Catfish
1 Black Molly
1 Lamp Eye Tetra

3G
Male betta

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
hmm.....

i dont think there is a way unless if u want to background all the sides of ur tank? which i know u wont do, maybe the other members could help u out

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My Finchy did the same thing to the background of the breeder tank. I ended up using a lighter colored solid background until I removed him after breeding.

Try a blueish background or give him a few days to adjust.

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
Iggy you answered a similar thread for me yesterday.
Whenever I've kept bettas before they have gotten bullied or stressed ove something or other and died.
I took the black background away as I didn't want Sirius stressing out and being at risk of illness. As he is in his own half of the divided tank (and loving it), I want to do everything right this time.
How long will it take him to get used to his own reflection ?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Finchy never got the chanse to get used to it, he is now in a tank without a backgound (divided with a Gourami tankmate!)

I would give a betta 3 days to adjust to a new background, and it that did not work, I would remove it.

Tip: darker backgrounds seem to make the tank reflect more than lighter ones.

Anyway, give the tank more light and soon algea will cover the back of the tank (all of it really) with a nice green unreflective background ;)