help my dad killed our fish on accident

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
im not sure exactly what happened but i think he put something in thinking it would work for a filter instead of buying the premade charcoal ones.
anyway i'm going home this weekend so first things first i'm gonna rinse it out and clean it up but sense i don't know if they would be able to handle the fishless cycle which i would really like to do i think i need to help them out with some fish that are "hardy" i wish i could actually do a fishless cycle and stuff but i'm not sure if they would understand
sense i'm at college then i don't think it would work.
well its a 20 gal fresh and it could be anything any ideas ive been thinking tigers or neons or im not sure but i dont really have a whole lot of time to research it right now so any good ideas would be appreciated

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
Bit confused, was this an already astablished tank? What did he use as a filter that would kill all of them? I'm also at college and one of my tanks is at home. I understand your frustration, I'm constantly reminding my parents about water changes and the like. As for a hardy fish, I'd try a few white clouds. They seem to be able to survive anything. Platies or guppies are also really hardy. Sorry about your fish. Good luck!

Edit: Zebra Danios are also quite hardy.

Last edited:

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
I understand the parent thing. Fishless would be best, and you will have enough time to go home (if you live close enough) and check it periodically. Then get the hardest fish and tell them no putting things in with out your say. I have a big tiff over this with my grandparents because they kept putting shiny rocks and things they'd found...big headache. :) dont' worry tho, you'll get it through to them.

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
if you're away at college and all the fish are dead.......why do you need to do a cycle at all while you are gone, just wait till semester ends or whenever you are home for an extended period of time

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
well these arnt my fish there the family's but im the one that kind of started everything and im going home this weekend if i don't do something then my dad will and he just doesnt always get whats going on just cause he hasn't read as much as i have.
i am about four hours away so going home would not be an option im goin home this weekend for a couple reasons but i wont be home again till spring break.
my dad put in a part of some kind of other air filter type thing. i guess it had an anti bacterial on it or somthing so maybe they died of ammonia poisoning but it was a cycled tank its been up for prob 4 months with the goldies from my pond
i have a heater because i had planned on putting some other fish in once those were out in the spring. i really wish i could do a fishless cycle but my parents probably wouldn't be able to handle the daily work for it.
i think i like the idea of some tigers but im not sure how hardy they are but that is what i think i was gona go with if i wasn't having to re cycle it. well anyway ill look into all these suggestions im sure ill figure something out. if anybody has any other ideas i'll be open.

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
tiger barbs are pretty hardy, but they do get kinda big for a 20gal

I have two tiger barbs in my 55gal that are closer to 3 or 4 inches long with width of 2 inches from dorsal to anal fin and fat. They like to school, so putting 6 of these in a 20gal is really pushing the limits especially when you're counting on your parents to take care of them.

I would suggest sticking with zebra danios (hard to kill) because they're a little smaller and hard to kill. Platies and mmollies are hardy too, but platies sure do poo a lot.

Also, I would suggest going to the store with Dad, getting everything they need to take care of the fish until your next visit. So, they aren't trying to figure out which filter media or which fish food etc. Then leave a daily list, weekly list, monthly list, with what to do. Like take a job like a laundry that your mom does weekly, and ask her to nag dad to do a 10% water change while she's doing laundry(something like that). This will increase the chances it gets done on a timely basis.