Help! My tank is infested with algae!

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hi everyone :D.
My tank is always gross. I'm wondering how often you should clean your tank:(?
I know everybody's going to be a huge help thanks so much! :)
-Val.
(also, I have a 10 gal tank)

shanec

Small Fish
May 2, 2009
Ireland
i do 15-20percent water changes every week....i hav had some algae but its only a small bit i use a double sided scraper when i see it it only cost me €3!

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
algae can be scraped off for the most part...youll want to do water changes every week/2 weeks depending on how much/big/type of fish you have.

algae feed on light, so if you turn off you lights it will die. try turning your lights off a few hours earlier, and hopefully the algae will go away.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Not sure if your tank is in direct sunlight but when one of mine was, the algae was completely out of control.

Now that my tanks are away from sunlight, little to no algae. And weekly water changes too, of course.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Thanks! My tank isn't in complete sunlight, but there is a window in my room. I usually clean my tank when the algae was crazy, but I suppose that's not good for my Fishy Friends! Thanks so much, everyone!!:)

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Maybe your tank size, fish in it, your readings on your test kits, and limit of light a day, and etc.. could help.. also sounds like the fishy water could be cleaned more often.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
depends what kind of algae eater you have. 1 otto/gallon works well.
okay you buy 10 ottos for your tank and tell me if they solve your algae problem. Algae eating fish do not solve breakouts or clean tanks. They contribute, and can live off it partially, but if you expose your tank to too much light and/or don't maintain it you will continue to grow algae. The immediate solution is cutting off the algaes source for growth, which is most likely excessive light.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
depends what kind of algae eater you have. 1 otto/gallon works well.
I believe what you meant to say is 1 otto/5-10 gallons. :confused:
They're pretty voracious eaters when it comes to algae, and at that, they won't touch certain types of algae. Could you maybe describe the type of algae it is?

It would probably be best to try find out what type of algae you have, before buying an algae eater.

Feb 27, 2009
Omygoodness, so I should put 25 MORE Otos in my 29 gallon tank?? :confused:

Algae is a plant, plants need light and nutrients to grow. If you are growing aquatic plants and they are growing well, most will outcompete algae and starve them of their nutrients.

If you have ALWAYS had bad algae, you have too much light or feed too much or are overstocked, or any combination of the above.

What is your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? If you do not test your water, most fish stores will do it for you for free or a nominal charge.

May 3, 2009
Hershey,Pa
I change 25% of my water every week. I moved my tank last night b/c I had it right by a window. Hopefully that will help. I also have 8 fish so I don't think I have it overstocked.

Last edited:

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Omygoodness, so I should put 25 MORE Otos in my 29 gallon tank?? :confused:

Algae is a plant, plants need light and nutrients to grow. If you are growing aquatic plants and they are growing well, most will outcompete algae and starve them of their nutrients.

If you have ALWAYS had bad algae, you have too much light or feed too much or are overstocked, or any combination of the above.

What is your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? If you do not test your water, most fish stores will do it for you for free or a nominal charge.
THANK YOU

I change 25% of my water every week. I moved my tank last night b/c I had it right by a window. Hopefully that will help. I also have 8 fish so I don't think I have it overstocked.
Well if you really want to know, if you tell us what size tank you have and what the 8 fish are, I can tell you if you're overstocked in about 5 seconds.

Feb 27, 2009
I change 50% of my water weekly for all three of my tanks and have no algae to speak of.

Like jo3olous said, it would depend on the size aquarium and the type of fish you have. 8 oscars in a 10 gallon tank is grossly overstocked, but 8 microrasbora in the same tank have plenty of room.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I hope he knows that the oscars can get about 12 inches long. 8 of them would have no room at all to live. I say get rid of all ur oscars since even one would outgrow that tank in no time. but as everyone else said keep the tank out of direct sunlight and cut down on the light and u should be fine. I know what it's liek to have a massive algea outbreak. dealing with one myself but it was my fault and I know it was but with cutting down on the light it's cutting down on the algea. mine was so bad I would do a 75% water change and in about 2 days I could not see 4 inches into my tank. it's frustrating but there is no quick and easy way to get rid of it. takes time and effort.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Relax, ex, *PEACE!* sassymomma (she :D lol) has mollies, tetras and bettas in a 30gal. I don't know exactly how many of which, though. I think orange was just giving an example of overstocking.

May 3, 2009
Hershey,Pa
My algae problem is not horrible yet. It's growing on the sides of my tank. My water is still clear. I have 5 tetra, 2 mollies, 2 betta male and female, 1 catrfish and 2 algae eaters. I have a 30 gallon tank. Since cutting down the light the algae has inproved. I was reading yesterday that when you get the algae eaters that you shouldn't feed them for 2 day to get them to eat the algae. Is this right? Also should I continue to feed my other fish?