Help!!! My tank turned clouldy

Jul 13, 2007
Hello everybody

I am new to this forum and I just bought my first tank (30g)
I filled up my tank with fresh water 3 days ago and today it seems cloudy.
It was very clear before; I dunno what happened?
There are no fish in the tank as yet because I want to make sure every thing is right before I start putting in fish.
Is this normal? Can somebody please help me?

Thnks Al

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hello Alvin, Welcome to mft :)

Did you put anything in the tank besides water? Do you have a filter running? Do you have lights running?

New tanks becoming cloudy is normal, but can be caused by a bunch of different things. White almost milky looking water can be caused by a bacterial bloom that will go away on its own. Green cloudy can be caused by too much light or sunlight directly going into the tank and the cause will need to be fixed before the cloudy will go away. Then there are also things like, if you put gravel (or decorations) in the tank without rinsing it really well your tank will usually be cloudy and the best way to fix that is to do some big water changes.

I'd suggest reading through the stickies at the top of the beginner forum for tips on how to get your tank ready for fish, we call that process "cycling" the tank. There are some good articles about setting up tanks that our members have written.