HELP!! Need help indentifying this cichlid!!!!

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Hey, I bought this cichlid about two months ago under the name "Synospillum". I thought he looked cool and the staff at the LFS said he was a "semi" agressive cichlid. Has been in my tank for two months with no signs of aggression or anything. Has really started to colour up in the last few weeks. All of a sudden he has these nice blues and red and yellow and orange colours popping up all over his(I'm not sure if its a male or female, jus seems like a male to me lol) body. Beautiful fish, jus don't know exactly what "he" is. I will attach a photo, and will answer any questions to the best of my ability. I have looked up the name "Synospillum" and the pictures that come up kinda look like him, but with different black lines through the body. Please, any help would be great. Thanks
P.S. Sorry about the pic's, I'm not sure why they are sideways and can't fix it . Sorry.

Attachments

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
You most likely have a mutt. A lot of cichlids are assorted even though they might be labeled under a certain name. My lfs, for example, actually labels some cichlids as peacock x zebra (<< just using as an example).

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
I kinda thought that may be the case. It is a beautiful fish tho, jus wanted to know its proper name so I can get info on him and his care. I want to be able to keep him happy, and need to know how to do that. I am doing a pretty good job so far, as he is growing nicely and starting to get some AMAZING colours. Thanks for yout help.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Kira, that is not an african. Crossing peacocks with zebras is fairly common. Crossing peacocks with various peacocks is even more common. Crossing all kinds of zebras is basically how it's done.

That is probably a Veja, I would guess given his coloring that he is not a mutt as mutts don't tend to color up real nicely.

I would venture to say he will be as big as your hand if not bigger and eat most of his friends. What are you housing him with?