Help needed with fishless cycle.

alik

New Fish
Sep 14, 2005
Hi all,

I am currently trying to cycle my 30ltr tank without fish. This is my third day feeding the tank with flakes... my ammonia level tests 1.5mg/l (the max result on the test is 5.0mg/l).

I'm not quite sure what i'm waiting for... is it for the ammonia levels to reach 5.0mg/l and the nitrite to reach the maximum on the test kit before I stop feeding the tank? The tank has also got quite smelly the last two days since the addition of the food, I assume because it's rotting - is this normal?

Thanks,
Ali

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you stick with the way you're doing it, you are continuing to add enough flake every day to keep your ammonia level up above 0. After awhile you wont be able to do that so you need to measure how much flake you're putting in right now to get the level up a bit. Then you wait for the nitrites to spike and drop to 0...and once your ammonia and nitrite have spiked and dropped to 0 and your tank is producing nitrates...you're finished.

Personally I would also suggest you switch over to using ammonia instead of flakes...because you'll probably get some algae issues due to the flakes pretty soon and it'll be a mess to clean out when you're all through...not to mention gunking up your filter media etc.