Help on an inherited tank

Nov 30, 2008
Hi! I just got a 75g freshwater tank with 14 cichlids in it.

I worked at a pet store 15 years ago and had 3 tanks of various sizes then. I haven't had fish since then. So I am going mainly on memory and also what the person I got it from told me.

Last night I transported a 75g tank with 14 cichlids 3 hours by car. These poor fish are stressed out! The people I got it from are moving to Italy so I can't really contact them. The fish seem to be doing ok, I have added stress coat and salt and am still getting the water set up. I am having trouble getting the filter to start though. I am pretty sure it is a biowheel with 2 wheels. The water is not flowing through the filter and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Can someone direct me somewhere or help me out? Thanks!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Is the filter making any noise? or just not doing anything at all? Sounds like either the big penguin or emperor by marineland. Try cleaning the impeller and/or the impeller well. Sometimed crud gets caught in there and makes it difficult for it to get spinning. Especially if it dried out in transport.

Chris

Nov 30, 2008
Now it is making a lot of noise. The problem now is that there doesn't seem to be any intake of water.

Now I am off to read the instructions! Thanks for the guide!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2008
Yea! I finally got it working now. It seems loud to me but nothing like it was, it is running smoothly now. The water is all balanced and good so I shall now let these poor fish relax for a few days.

Thank you very much for the info and I will be back soon to ask more questions and browse.