Help picking out new fishies.

Der_Bradly

Small Fish
Jan 7, 2010
Greetings fellow aquarium people.

I have a Tank with 6 Zebra Danios and 2 Africa Dwarf Frogs in it. It holds 16 Gallons and is pretty lightly planted, there is a rock in the middle and alot of open swimming space. I have been running it for 2 weeks.

I was curios to find out what other fish I should put in it, But they must be a cooperative fishes that are peaceful towards everything else in the aquarium.

Thanks all,

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Greetings fellow aquarium people.

I have a Tank with 6 Zebra Danios and 2 Africa Dwarf Frogs in it. It holds 16 Gallons and is pretty lightly planted, there is a rock in the middle and alot of open swimming space. I have been running it for 2 weeks.

I was curios to find out what other fish I should put in it, But they must be a cooperative fishes that are peaceful towards everything else in the aquarium.

Thanks all,
Hey Brad,
Before you go ahead and get more fish, can I ask what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
You've gotta get these's few things right or your setting yourself up for failure.

Feb 27, 2009
Welcome to the tank!

I agree also with JRB__, you should make sure the tank is ready for more before adding them. The last thing you'd want to do is add more and have fish dying from the affects of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you can put just about any smaller rasbora or tetra species in there. whats more you'll be able to get away with a school of them, which would look nice..

Jan 7, 2010
Thank you all for the suggestions, And all Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia are all in check. I have been researching for about a month all about aquariums and such. I'm asking more about specific combinations of fish I could have. I will also probally put a Pleco in the tank (I will upgrade the tank size when he grows bigger), So it would be best If a Pleco could be included in the list, Or a smaller algae/scape eater.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Ok
1. what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings in your tank after a normal week BEFORE you do your weekly water change?

2. If you need an algae eater, buy a BN Pleco. Do NOT GET A COMMON pleco. Bristle nose plecos wont grow that large.
You can also get a Pitbull Pleco which grows even smaller.
Otocinclus are a good substitute and stay very small.

AVOID COMMON PLECOS. did i mention you shouldn't buy a common pleco? no matter how small they sell them at the pet store. don't get them..
Baby ones look like this:

Remember:

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
common plecos get humungous!!! as Ive said before I had one with my old Oscar and he would eat the Oscars feeders.

(they do grow to their tank somehwhat, if you got 2 plecos and put 1 in a 10Gallon and 1 in a 50 gallon, the one in the 50 would grow bigger faster.

Jan 5, 2010
vancouver bc
yes they for sure will!!!!
I've never had to saran mine closed but once while i was feeding them I had 2 jump out at the same time. They both fell on the floor and I quickly scooped them back in, but they died a few days later.

Newman do would you think the dwarf frogs would have a tendency to jump out as well?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Betta and gourami do not mix well....watch those two.

you are 90 stocked right now so I think you should stop adding fish. also you're under filtered if your filter is rated for 30 gallons or less. seriously, no joke.

What's more I think you should keep your temp on the low side. Rubberlip pleco and zebra danios like cooler water. Keep the tank at 74-75F or so...

Jan 7, 2010
The Betta and Gourami seem to be afraid of each other, no voilent actions towards each other so far.

I have set the temperature down a bit for those 2 species you mentioned above.

Also, Is it natural for a Rubber Lip Pleco to hide in a cave for several hours?

Jan 7, 2010
UPDATE: My Betta has gone mysteriously missing. There has been no signs of him all weekend. I think the cat got him.

But anyway, My 16 gallon has a little extra room in it.

6 Zebra Danios
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Rubberlip Pleco
1 Dwarf Fire Gourami

Now, since the betta fish is gone, what other fish should I throw in here? It must be something that likes fast moving water, and cannot be a fin nipper.

Jan 7, 2010
A school of neons would be cute. Black or green neons would be pretty cool, too. They aren't fin nippers and as far as I know, they're good with fast-moving water. :)
Neons would look nice, but the water has a neutral pH so neons wouldn't live as long as the other fish. And would they fit?

Also, I'm currently testing the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels if anyone is interested in seeing them.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
As far as I understand, as long as your pH is close to (or the same as) what the fish are used to in the store or where they're bred, they'll do fine, regardless of what they are used to in the wild. As far as I know, neons are captive-bred, not wild caught. I could see where you'd have the pH problem with wild-caught fish like otos. As far as fitting with what you have...I think they would...but I kinda partial to neons right now for some reason.

Jan 7, 2010
As far as I understand, as long as your pH is close to (or the same as) what the fish are used to in the store or where they're bred, they'll do fine, regardless of what they are used to in the wild. As far as I know, neons are captive-bred, not wild caught. I could see where you'd have the pH problem with wild-caught fish like otos. As far as fitting with what you have...I think they would...but I kinda partial to neons right now for some reason.
Neons are nice (plus very pretty) but, I don't think they will survive the Nitrite peak that's happening right now.

I was thinking a bit more of like a single non schooling fish or two.

Anyways

Ammonia = 0.5
Nitrite = 4.0
Nitrate = 70