HELP!!! QUICK!! OSCARS!!!

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
ok quick i need help....i bought a albino oscar yesterday...and i put him in a 15 gl tank freshwater....but the the guy at the shop said it was a brackish fish......soooo umm yeah
i took him out earlier.....and added my instant ocean stuff.....1tbsp per 5 gls....and i waited about an hour...and put him back in...but hes still acting really wierd....he just sits inone of the back corners.....and kind slumps over to one side...and breaths really slow!! whats wrong!!?!? help!! quick.....and would it be okay to have a puffer and an oscar together...??

Feb 28, 2005
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
im not sure if oscars are brackish. i dont think they are. ive had them before and mine were freshwater....so were all of the others i have ever seen. try freshwater.

when mine got scared (usually when i did water changes) she would go in a corner, lay on its side, then try to stop breathing. kinda like yours is doing now. after i was done, she would go back to normal in about an hour. maybe your fish is just scared/stressed in its new surroundings, give it time.

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
ok kool.....i thought he was dying......but the guy at the store said....he was brackish....but not a high level of salt.....its a 15 gl...and i only put in 1 tbsp.....so it barely did anything when i checked it....

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Oscars aren't brackish (they're freshwater) and they won't last very long in a 15 gallon. I know you're getting a 65 gallon, but you should know you've very seriously limited what you can do in that larger tank when it arrives. (maybe 1 or two more fish that won't kill or be killed by the oscar) I wouldn't put him in with a puffer either. You should research oscars in the profiles section -- it's a great resource!

Jun 15, 2005
califronia
no its kool...i bought the oscar....to raise it a little bit for a teacher at my school......the school is buying him a 300 gl tank for one of the classrooms.....and he allready had 100gl tank...so he is gonna have about 3-4 oscars in the 100gl tank....so i told him ill buy one...and hold onto it for about two weeks...untill he gets his tank...and then hes gonna buy it from me....

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
most def. not a brackish fish, and if he can fit the puffer in his mouth i would watch out. since you have a place for him to be going in 2 weeks then i guess it is ok, but if that falls through then either get a bigger tank or sell him back to the lfs.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Most puffers are brackish, however, so even without all of the nipping issues you are likely to encounter by housing the two together, these fish are more than likely not compatible. You might tell the teacher that four oscars in a 100 is not going to work for long either.