help quickly please!!!

my my common pleco mini me is floating at the surface with holes in his fins.hes still alive.i turned down the flow on my filters and added strees salt then peut him in my breeding net to keep him from other fish.what could this be.please help. i posted here becuase more traffic comes to this category compared to diesease in my opinion

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Bala..you know how this goes..What are your parameters?? What other plecs are in the tank? Does the fish look bloated?

My first guess is going to be that another plec opened a can of wupass on him.

the other fish in the tank are mollies and one larger pleco right now but if he gets better thinking about putting him with my other plecos in my 250g.there all doing good in there plenty of caves attempted live plants fake plants so theres plenty of room for him fulgrown as with the other plecs

Last edited:

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
That is odd then. Mollies wouldn't do that to him. Fin rot normally starts at the tips and works it's way towards the body. I've never heard of it making holes in the fins.

I'm pretty much stumped as to what could cause this. I would just treat the tank with a melifix, Primafix combo. If this isn't fin rot then these 2 meds certainly won't hurt anyone.

Just keep an eye on him and hope he pulls through.

Sometimes fish just die for no apparent reason, despite our best efforts.

*ding* Something just came to me. You say you just did a huge water change on this tank. How much did you change and what procedure did you use for back filling the tank?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Commons are known for not getting along at times. That's probably what happened to him. I have 1 common and 2 L001s in my 125 and they are constantly scrapping with each other. And these guys are all under 6 inches. It's only going to get worse as they get bigger. So yes I will be getting rid of some of them.

About you using RO, You do keep an eye on what your TDS is right? You shouldn't be using pure RO water. It either needs to be mixed with tap water or have some sort of trace elements and calcium (carbonate hardness) add back.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
bala_aquarium said:
this is just not my week first i lose 3 filters and 27 baby bristlenose from power surge and now i have to get rid of my mini me
Keep sponge filters running in a couple of tanks at all times for just such an emergency.