Help rehoming, also stocking ?

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
So we got 2 black phantom and 2 xray pristella tetras, and a betta when we started cycling our tank. The black phantom and the betta were definitely not a good call by the LFS - betta's getting nipped. Lots of stand offs and hiding.

I made the mistake of not researching for myself first of course, and there's no way I want 5+ phantoms and 5+ pristellas. I offered the tetras up on FB and on craigslist. Nothing. I mentioned to LFS about wanting to rehome them. Nothing. Any other ideas about how to get them to a new home?

Then also, thoughts on this potential final stocking? Aqadvisor is saying the swordtails might outgrow the tank eventually. I'd really just like some colorful top swimmers, so other ideas would be appreciated. I've also seen at least one mention of rams not appreciating bottom dwellers - thoughts?

4 x Emerald Green Cory (Brochis splendens)
8 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
1 x Swordtail [Male] (Xiphophorus hellerii)
2 x Swordtail [Female] (Xiphophorus hellerii)
2 x German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi)

Thanks!:)

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Do you have liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? I would make sure your levels are stabilized before adding the new fish. Also, re-home your fish before buying new ones. However, do not allow your tank to set fishless for more than a day before you add the new fish. If you let your tank sit without any fish for more than a day or two, you will kill all the good bacteria in your filter and gravel. If you want German Blue Rams, make sure they are a male and female pair because two males will fight in a tank that small. I'm not even sure if a pair would work in your tank, so hopefully other people chip in. If the swordtails will outgrow your tank, I wouldn't add them. Also, if you are going to mix male and female swordtails, you should really have 3 females for each male or there will be a lot of aggression. It's better to have two females but since they will outgrow your tank, I wouldn't add them.

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
I do have a liquid master kit, yes. The levels are all sitting pretty. :) I'm just trying to get a good stocking plan set while I'm waiting to rehome at this point.

Ideas on other top swimmers if swordtails aren't ideal?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i wouldnt recommend swordtail either for your tank. platies, if housed in a nice group will be decent top dwelling animals for your tank. others include honey gourami, endlers livebearers, or fancy guppies.

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Thanks for the suggestions! I plugged platys into AqAdvisor, and it's saying the temp range is incompatible... ? Honey gouramis are a dwarf right? I saw these Flame Dwarf Gouramis a while back and liked the look of them - I guess I forgot I'd seen them.

Still no rehoming prospects...

Also I have to say, my son picked white gravel and man do I hate the look of it. It's so bright and it shows everything. I've been reading a little about switching substrates... like switching from gravel to some dark sand maybe. It sounds to me like it would be ok to do it during a water change as long as a) the sand is very well-washed, b) I'm mindful of the filter and c) I keep a pantyhose leg of old gravel in there for a few weeks.

Right?

Last edited:

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Also, another question:

One of the black phantoms (one has appeared to be almost albino since purchase, no real black marks at all, some I'd call gray) has started doing a lot of swimming in place in the shadow of one of the large decorations. It's been going on several days now. And this morning now I'm seeing that the other one is starting something similar. I may be imagining it, but it seems his color is also blanching.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
pH 7.4
78º

I've been using R/O and my LFS is out of Seachem Replenish. Their shipment comes in tomorrow. I'm wondering if this sounds like osmotic shock and if so, what to do? Or what else it might sound like if anything problematic at all?

Thanks.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Honey gouramis are a totally different species than dwarf gouramis.

I would not do the emerald green "cories." They are not TRUE cories and grow to 4" plus. I would go with a smaller species, like peppereds, albinos, pandas or bronzes.

On the rams, honestly for a beginner, I wouldn't recommend German blue rams. They are gorgeous, but can be pretty difficult to care for (I went through SIX due to bad stock issues before I found one that has lasted for me...the others didn't make it past a few days...Tyr has been with me for almost 7 weeks). Maybe try Bolivian rams instead? They aren't as colorful, but they are still beautiful. As littletank said, make sure you either have a male/female pairing, or two females. Two males will fight for territory.

As far as the substrate goes...yes, you can change it out, just as you said. I had white gravel in one of my tanks and it looked cool at first (with the dark green, at the time, fake, plants and the blue/red crowntail betta), but it got dirty SO fast and wouldn't come clean. I have white pool filter sand in two of my tanks and love it. I also have black sand over red Flourite (plant substrate) in one of my other tanks and it looks freakin' awesome (especially with the albino rainbow shark and tiger barbs).

fisherjean

Medium Fish
Sep 6, 2010
Minneapolis
We've already had the brochis splendens almost 3 weeks. They're super beautiful and active, and they do some pretty funny things too. Ours are so much prettier than any picture I've seen online, their green is really green and shimmery, and their bellies are this super beautiful gold and salmon. My heart's already stolen, I'm afraid.

Good to know about dwarf vs. honey. Liveaquaria lists the honey as "difficult" though and the dwarf as "moderate" and I'm seeing lots of 'dwarf honey' gouramis now online. What's the scientific name I should be looking for? lol

I don't think I could handle losing 6 GBRs. That's a bummer. Originally I was looking at Golden Rams. Are they any more beginner-friendly? (Man, being a beginner sucks!)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Golden rams are a color variant of German blue rams, so no, they aren't more beginner friendly, unfortunately.

Just an FYI...your brochis are displaying typical cory behavior. :p Just be aware that they will grow to 4"+, which might be a bit much for your tank's footprint. I should go take some vid of my cories surfing the current from the spray bar in my 55gal.

The scientific name for the honey gourami is trichogaster chuna. They are actually just as easy to keep as dwarf gouramis, the plus being that they aren't susceptible to dwarf gourami disease.