help required for new starter

ITFC

New Fish
Dec 29, 2008
hi, firstly, i have to say this website has been of great help, and also, an influence in me trying (being the word) to start a saltwater aquarium.
i've filled the tank, got all the stuff up and running, inc protein skimmer etc etc. The temperature is good, the ph is 8.2, which i was impressed with lol.
after about ten days of letting the tank settle down, and checking my tests etc, i decided to grab some live rock. erm, and this is the issue, it looked all good, and then started to go a bit yellow, and today when i have got in from work, it is very yellow. darkish colour. whats the problem?? is this right? i did an ammonia test and its hovering around 0.5. thanks for any help you offer.
the hydro reads 1.021 as well.
ta Steve

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site :D

It's probably just some diatoms on the rock. Don't panic! You'll see a whole bunch of weird and wonderful stuff on your live rock over the next few months.

Once the live rock has cured, the diatoms usually go away within a few weeks. Once you add your clean-up crew, it will disappear even faster.

ITFC

New Fish
Dec 29, 2008
Cleaning Crew

Thanks, i read all wierd and wonderful things on here, about people rushing in etc, and getting lots of problems, so thought i'd better ask, especially as its only happened in days!
when is it a good time to add the cleaning crew? and whats best? i have read about hermits, snails and shrimps etc, the plan is, to have reef and fish, so obviously i dont want anything thats gonna gobble up all my plants!
ta steve

Jun 29, 2008
PA
in a few weeks, your tests should indicate amonia, nitrite, nitrate being 0, 0, <20 respectively. Once your test reflect these levels, then you can add your cleanup crew.

I would suggest a variety of inverts. I have used turbo snails and small hermit crabs.

how large is your tank?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
They are corals not plants lol! I would go with just snails, there's a ton of different kinds out there so make sure you get the right kind for the work you want it to do! Also shrimp are nice, I like the cleaner shrimp.. There's a ton of different shrimps also so really just read up on the stuff before you buy them.. What size tank do you have, lights etc...?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Since I am going to be in the same boat as ITFC in a few months, lol, I plan on a 150 to 200g tank, how many snails and shrimp should one get for a tank of this size?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well good question. It depends on what type of snail you have and what their job is etc. I like nassarius for sand cleaning in deep sand beds and general clean up. Nerite are good all around as are ceriths turbos and astreas. Turbos and astreas don't right themselves well when they fall and need you to turn them right side up .... I would aim for a mixture of all of these and at the rate of about 1 for every 2 gallons....or more if you have hermits in the tank also.....and hermits are another subject...yes or no....depends who y ou ask.

ITFC

New Fish
Dec 29, 2008
i have a 190L tank, or 40G, whichever you choose. i have metal halide lighting, supposed to be the good stuff, as recomended by the fish man at the shop.

ITFC

New Fish
Dec 29, 2008
ok, well, this brown algae stuff is all over the rock, and now appearing on the sand, you guys sure this is good? i'm sure its fine, but reassurance is always good, cheers steve