help!!! sick platy?!?!!

jpsnickel

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2007
This morning we woke up to one of our platies swimming a little odd. Seems like the caudal fin is stuck together, and not fanned out. She was interested in eating, but having problems propelling herself to the top. The other fish are swimming right towards her, and she's not really getting out of their way, which is VERY unlike her.

We have had her since May, and she was the size of a full grown adult when we bought her. She has had no problems since May (except we suspect she was one of the platies giving birth). In the past (when she was in a 5 gallon tank), she was a bit more aggressive and nippy, but since moving to the 29 gallon tank, she's been fine.

Physically, she looks okay except her tail. Eyes aren't bulging, abdomen isn't bloated, no changes in the appearance of her scales. The rest of her fins seem fine. Even the caudal tail seems intact (no evidence of fin rot or getting a chunk eaten out of it).

Did a water check, all chemicals (nitrate/nitrite/ammonia/acidity), are perfect. The rest of the fish appear to be unaffected. Even the smaller danios seem normal - if the tank was for some reason toxic, i would expect the danios to be hit first.

I know the obvious answer would be to isolate her in a hospital tank, but we were being a little too naive and never got one set up. Any other suggestions?!?!?!

Since we don't know her exact age, i know the possibility of her dying of old age is there, but this is our set of platies, and i don't how they exactly die.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

(meanwhile, we are probably going to run out to the store to get a new hospital tank)

THANKS!!!
jen and mike

jpsnickel

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2007
p.s. The only other change to that tank was that we used a new fertilizer on Friday (at the suggestion of a co-worker who also works at a pet store and has her own tanks)
The new fertilizer is called "Plant Gro" and has the following active ingredients: Nitrogen, Boron, Copper, Iron, Mananese, Molybdenum, and Zinc.
The directions were for 1 capful per 10 gallons, and instead of putting in the recommended 3 capfuls, i only did 2, so i definitely didn't overdose on fertilizer.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Hmm, it could have something to do with the fertilizer. I'm not a plant person though, so you should wait for some feedback on that. Anytime you've added something or changed something in your tank though, that should be suspect. I've also found that my platies always seem to "waste away" when they start dying. Sometimes holding on for months with clamped tails, empty tummies, even though they are still eating. I would keep up with water changes and make sure the temp is good.

jpsnickel

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2007
we had just done a water change a couple of days previously, and water temp has been consistant. i did notice yesterday that she isn't as fat as the other platies. darn. =(