Help sick Platys

May 7, 2005
san diego, california
i have 2 platys that arnt acting normal. they kinda just float around and dont do much like they used to. sometimes i find them hiding the the little cave i have. i put some aquarium salt in there but i dont know if that would help. although i was wondering if it has anything to do with dominance because i baught a female and it turned out to be a male and is quite a bit bigger than him. not sure well thanks!

Oct 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Information

For anyone to really assess what is going on with your fish you need to list as much info as possible. We need to know how big the tank is, if you've cycled it properly. Where you got the fish - did they look healthy? Do they have any odd spots? Water parameters are helpful - amnnioa, nitrate, pH, etc. Temperature, etc. Tell us as much as you can about how this came to be and we might be able to tell you what is wrong. Are they eating? Are they new fish - i.e. just added - or were they added days/weeks/months ago? Are their other fish in with them? We will be glad to help.

May 7, 2005
san diego, california
i have a 30 gallotank with 3 marigold swordtails (1 male, 2 females), 3 neon swordtails (1 male, 2 females), 2 red wag plateys (both male), 2 sunset plateys (male, female), 1 regular pleco, a bamboo shrimp, 2 guppies (male, Female) , 1 skeleton fish. when i started the tank i had no idea that i had to cycle the tank but it has been going for about 2 months now so the water shoudl be fine. The fish that are having problems is one of my male red wag plateys and my female sunset platey. I have had the red wag seince i started the tank a while ago. the other i have had for about a month. i got them both from a present from petco. they seem to eat a little.

Oct 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Sorry it tookso long for me to get back....things here are crazy lately. When you say you didn't cycle at first, but now it's been 2 months and the water should be fine.......have you tested your parameters? I'm assuming you haven't and I'll tell you now, it's going to be a necessity to have a water testing kit. You need to know if your ammonia, nitrates and nitrites have spiked and returned to 0. This could be the answer to your problem. Otherwise.....is your red wag platy having any noticable color change? or spots? Is he still eating? It depends on your Petco, but sometimes they do have disease issues that you might be concerned about reaching your other fish. Do a search on the message boards on disease. There are a lot of helpful links here with pics to find out if what your fish has is serious or speadable. Good Luck.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
kindaconfused said:
when i started the tank i had no idea that i had to cycle the tank but it has been going for about 2 months now so the water shoudl be fine.
Is COULD be fine. You need to get a complete test kit with Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Test your water and let us know the results. Nothing will kill a well stocked tank faster than high levels on Ammonia and Nitrites