help stocking 2.5 gallon all glass tank ?

Jul 6, 2007
hello everyone i went to my local pet store today they had a 2.5 gallon all glass tank set up on display with 3 african cichlids in the tank all about 4 inches each the guy said that the tank that size would be great for me since i dont have much space i want to know what type of fish i can get i just want one fish that doesnt get over 3 inches and i dont want a betta i want 1 fish that has a lifespan of 8 years plus, the tank is 12 inches long 8inches tall 6 inches wide 2 half gallon all glass tank with a clear free penn plax corner filter with a glass top and fluorescent light , and a 25 watt heater no gravel i also got a test kit liquid api , along with cycle to help it cycle , please let me know what type of fish i can get, thank you and have a great weekend

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
For a 2.5 gallon, you definitely want to stay away from African cichlids.

Although it seems like a lot of space, the options you have with a 2.5 G is very limited. Like DclownD said, there is the guppy option. Make sure you get the same sex because you don't want any unnecessary babies. You can do a small group of tetras (as long as they're under 1.5 inches). A popular one is the betta combo + snail/ADF.

And lastly (but not all), you can do the dwarf puffers. But I wouldn't suggest it since it seems like you're starting out and these fish have a larger bioload and stricter feeding requirements.

Welcome to the tank.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
if you decide to go with any live bearers i would suggest getting males. male guppys are more colorful anyways. and this way you dont have a chance of getting an already pregnant female from the lfs.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You could do two male guppies, some shrimp, and a mystery snail. If this is your first tank, please take the time to read up on cycling and stocking it. The link in my signature gives some basic info you should read through.