Help tank/fish problems

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
My 30 gallon tank is having a major problem the temp in it won't rise above 70,all my fish except for my two bettas are fine,but my betta's both are trying their best to be as close to the heater as possible.Is their any way i can heat my tank w/o adding another heater*which i have no money for*.Also my 3rd betta in my 5 gallon tank is in a very low temp it's right on 65 D= not good for a betta but he's acting perfectly normal and actully staying away from the heater.

I've tried at least 3 diffrent thermometers and they all have the same temp,i'm sure my heater is working but it is really cold in the house and outside the house.

Anyone help me? ;-; i do not want any dead fish the next time i wake up.

Also i'm having brown/green a algae problems in my big tank because it's located near a window and can not be moved from the spot but it's not a big problem.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Is the window insulated for winter? Since it is cold outside and next to window it is colder there than against an inside wall. I would suggest putting blanket or something to insulate the window from tank for a while see if it keeps warmer temps a little. If you have space heater you could turn it on in that room to warm the room and the water. What size thermometer do you have in the 30 gallon? It sounds like your heater may be too small for the tank if it won't warm it up past 70 or it is set to maintain incorrect temperature. How old is the thermometer? has it ever been left on and been out of water while doing w/c? The best solution i can say is move tank or buy bigger heater, if you cant do either than you are sorta stuck with what you can get from what you got.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
Well it was keep it at a steady 78 temp untill yesterday when the temp outside dropped horribly,then suddely hour by hour the tank temp went down D=.The window is insulated but besides being by the window theirs the front door about a few feet away could it be the brush of cold air when we go outside that is bringing the temp down?And it seems it's only my two tanks that are being brought down my 3rd is still at a steady 76 temp and it's the closest to the window but it has a desk beside it.

Jan 9, 2007
mine did that too. I found keeping the light on in that room helped keep the temp up 2 degrees, so it went from 72 to 74 in the tank. At night I can't keep the light on (Tank is in my 2 year old's room) so I put his lamp on the same table.

(not directly beside it since there's water in the tank...lol)

Just thought I'd clerify that

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
if it is super cold out and next to door, i would say it could lower temps small amount when opeing, depending how often it is open and stuff. But the only way to combat that situation is with bigger heater, save up money and get one that is recommended for your tank size, i am guessing yours is older and starting to break down or something perhaps too small for tank to maintain constant level of heat.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
If my check comes in this month i'll go straight to my lps or wal-mart and buy one but i guess for now my fish are gonna have to try to survive this cold weather.Also the door is opened and then closed at least 3-4 times a day closed the rest of the time and i Duno what the wattage on it is it came with the tank ,the tank & stand i think she said is 5 years old and the equipment is at least 6 not inculding the lights which are brand new.

Jan 8, 2007
Can you swap heaters to see if you have a bad one?

If you need a new one, check the pricing on the Petsmart web site...print out the one you want, and bring it with you. Their online prices always seem lower. I've saved some money doing this.

BTW, it can't be that cold in Kansas...It warmed up to a balmy 13 degrees here in Mn!*SUNSMILE*

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
D= it is super cold here it's like in the teens 14-16 and such,>_> the house my parents are renting sucks majorly when winter time comes,and i know the heater has to have been good cause it was heating untill the cold spike.

and theirs no petsmart near here.

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Beta's prefer their temp to be around 78-80. They are much more active in a warmer temp than they will be in anything under that. If your heater isn't able to keep the temp at what you set it at, no matter how cold it is outside, then you probably need one with more watts.