Help There Is A Weird Coloration On My Decor ??

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
In both of my tanks there is this brownish/copper looking stuff "growing" on 1 plant in my 29G and today I noticed it on my rocks (that form my cave). It is also in my 7G. And in my 7G all over the piece of driftwood there is this whitish/clear stuff. Is it algea? I have 2 Ottos in both tanks. If its algea why arent they eating it?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not sure why the ottos aren't eating it...unless its too much for them to keep up with, or they've gotten used to eating the food you're feeding them instead of algae :) I agree its brown algae and fungus. I'd just scrape the fungus off...if its caused by rotting food or whatever it'll probably just make your nitrite go up to like .25ppm and stick there.

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
I had 2 ottos in my 10 gallon and I already had the brown algae in there. They never seemed to get it all, so I clean the front and sides of the tank and leave it on the back glass. I have one particular plant (plastic) that gets more algae on it than the others, I just take it out when it gets bad and clean it in the water I just took out. Clean the algae off the glass before you do a water change/gravel vac and it should get most of what you cleaned off out.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
The Brown Algae are Diatoms,the most basic form of algae there is I think.They usually appear soon after setting up a tank as they are opportunists.As soon as the Green Aglae and plants start outcompeting them for the nutrients in the water they will virtually dissappear.
Although Otos will eat all kinds of algae Diatoms are particularly tough and they may be having trouble scraping it off your surfaces.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I found when I had a bad algae problem in a tank, the otos didn't start eating it until I had removed some. Perhaps they felt that as there was so much of it, there was no hurry for them. ;)

You can take out ornaments and plastic plants and scrub them in hot water to get rid of brown algae.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
If all your plants are plastic you can use an algea fizz tab. It does seem to work almost overnight. Keep up on water changes should help and don't leave the lights on too long. Brown algea sucks, cause it's ugly and it covers everything, but learning to control it is just about like anything else in fishkeeping - art. heheh sorry - it's early here.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Now I know that a lot of chemicals mess with your tanks test readings and screw with your water. This Algea Fizz Tab wont do any of that will it? I just want to make sure before I give it a shot. If it is as easy as droping the tab in (and of course the water changes and stuff); I would rather go that route than pullling out all of my decor. I just got it all where I like it (after fiddling with it every day for about a week). :)