help w/ undergravel filter

May 22, 2007
Bought a 20 gal off craigslist to upgrade my feeder tank and it came with some equipment that I've never used before, namely and underground filter. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to set-up the air stones to get the proper flow up to the carbon cartridge. It also came with a penn plax clear-free corner filter that uses an airstone to power it. I also have the option of using a marineland biowheel 150 power filter instead of, or in addition to this setup.

This is going to be a feeder tank for comets, rosies, and maybe some snails.

Here's some pics of what I've got to work with.

Not a bad deal for $20...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
That's a great deal for $20! :D

I'm not a fan of UGFs, even for feeder tanks. You'd still have to get gravel.

I do like barebottomed tanks with a sponge filter for fry, etc. Nice and easy to keep clean. You could get a Penguin instead. With HOB filters, I prefer to get the same brand so that I can "instantly cycle" a new tank with a filter pad from another tank.

May 22, 2007
yeah i did some reading up on these things and from what I've found the undergravel fiilters aren't worth the headache. I'm gonna scrap it and just go with the biowheel 150.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
UGF's don't really "filter" anything. Fish waste and other rotting food particles also regularly build up under the filter plate and in order to clean them out, the whole tank has to be uprooted when you remove the plate. There are much more efficient filters out there now which make UGF's antiquated and unnecessary.

s_anthony

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
UGF's don't really "filter" anything. Fish waste and other rotting food particles also regularly build up under the filter plate and in order to clean them out, the whole tank has to be uprooted when you remove the plate. There are much more efficient filters out there now which make UGF's antiquated and unnecessary.
I suck out my UGF's every few months with a 1" tetra hose - never have had any issues getting the gunk outta there.. I guess Im just old school cause thats all Im used to from years ago and are into the concept of if it aint broke dont fix it..

once we move into new house I do want to do more reading about UGF's for my new 30 gal I'm setting up...

Sorry to hijack the thread OP :)

Jul 6, 2007
corner filter

that corner filter is the best filter for tanks with no gravel those corner filters keep the tank so clean there is no waste in the tank and you never have to vacum i dont know much about the underground filter