HELP!!! What is this and how do I get rid of it?

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
It's all over the tank. I thought I might of had a little aglae the other night, but this is what I came home to. I forgot to test the water before I did a 30% water change, so I will have to test everything in the morning.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Oh! I had something like that! Check your ammonia and nitrates, they might not be critical but you might have a little bit or at least I did. As soon as I got the ammonia under control and did a very throughal vacuuming of the tank and some extra water changes it went away.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
No lights on overnight, and actually I have shortened the daylight. Actinic is still on. My nitrates were a little higher, but still not even close to 40. Everything else was about zero. Like I said, did about a 30% water change last night, and will do another one tonight. I threw in some algaefix just to see if it helps. It looks like it is dieing tonight, so hopefully this will be the end. Guess I will see if I can vacuum some of this up too. Tried grabbing some and it just falls apart.

This just appeared overnight? Is your tank in any direct sunlight?
No.

Oh did you leave your light on over night?
No, they are on timers.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
I have used this stuff before in my 75 planted. It also says safe with live plants. It is one of those last resort deals.

And speaking of plants, my crypts have sprung back to life finally. *SUPERSMIL Boy do those plants hate transition.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
When I had a similar thing it clung to everything for a couple days and then fell to the bottom of the tank and I just sucked it all up. My fish didn't seem to notice it at all.