HeLp!! What To Do?

Aug 22, 2004
CaLiFoRnIa ;-D
Visit site
HeLp!!!! One of my cats just knocked over my betta's tank...and luckily he is ok...thank god ...but he is now homeless...I'm wondering if it would be ok to put him in an aquarium with a variety of other more peaceful fish..I have 3 neon tetras, a skirt tetra, and 2 platties in the aquarium. (it's a 10 gal tank)Would it be ok to put my betta in there?? :)

sugarloves

Medium Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
Hahah im wondering where this fish is currently. Ha. Anyways, i wouldnt even bother putting him in the large takn especially if hes been by himself all his life. Just put him in an icecream bucket or sumthing for now then go out and buy a cheap fishbowl tomorrow and use it untill you can replace his tank. When I got my first betta I manged to knock over his tank while transporting him. He landed in the carports gravel! I just plopped him in some clean water and he recovered just fine. Scariest moment of my life though.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
Same here... I was seeing a picture with Misty holding the betta with both hands and wandering around... lol
I've seen platties nip on bettas... but bigger concern would be the feeding part. Betta doesn't like flake food, and they are not as "greedy" as the other little fish. So if you put him in a community tank, he may have problem getting his food before all the other little ones get them.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I actually wouldn't say they are generally picky. I have only owned one who didn't take prepared food. Eventually I coaxed him onto frozen bloodworms but that is the extent to which he would "slum it" The real problem with a betta in a community tank is fin nipping, chasing, things of that nature.

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
I am probably not the only one that think betta doesn't like flake food: http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

My females in the community tank are okay with fake food. However for my males, they are very picky. Not to say they don't eat flakes; they don't eat all types of pellets. They seem to love the tetra min granules. If I give them pellets, they spit it out. :) I guess they are just a bunch of spoil kids :)

Last edited: