Help with a new aquarium!!!!

Jun 2, 2003
St Louis
Visit site
I was in my LFS the other day and they had what looked like a 2 gallon tank, but it was saltwater. I liked what I saw, and am thinking of doing this. What is needed to get this working. I didnt know you could go saltwater in such a small tank!?! Thanks for any help you can give me!

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
It is quite possible, however I do not recommend doing so. A saltwater tank along is difficult to take care of, due to the amount of time you have to spend watching over the water levels, let alone a 2 gallon tank. Take Ausie Fish's advice. Start out with a 55, to get the feel, 30 at the smallest, and work your way down. You will save much heartbreak by doing such. Not to mention, saltwater is VERY expensive. I had to get out of the hobby, when I could not afford to move my 5 gallon bow fowlr, to a reef. Maintence is difficult, and the fish are very delicate. Keeping just a saltwater fish only tank, is like taking care of a fully planted discus tank. If you can handle discus, give the saltwater a shot, otherwise, leave it for the experienced.

Aug 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi

You know how they can turn the small tank into a good bacteria culture water, i explain to you:)

They just get the live rocks sands and water from the big tank and place it in, and have a small hang filter, max fish you can put is only 2 small clownfish:). that is what i saw in a live farm.

Best Regards,
Giritharan

Giritharan Are you serious, look at topic or at least the first post, this is the guys first sal water tank and he want to go with 2 gallon...

So are you suggesting that he puts 2 clowns in a 2 gallon tank, even 1 clown in this size tank is cruel and anyone even thinking about it should think again.

As I said before, for a starter in SW you are best to go with the biggest tank you can afford (min 55 gallons) so at least if something goes wrong you have some time to catch it and fix it

Note: If I have read you reply wrong I am sorry but this is how I interpret it

Aug 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Originally posted by Ausie Fish
Giritharan Are you serious, look at topic or at least the first post, this is the guys first sal water tank and he want to go with 2 gallon...

So are you suggesting that he puts 2 clowns in a 2 gallon tank, even 1 clown in this size tank is cruel and anyone even thinking about it should think again.

As I said before, for a starter in SW you are best to go with the biggest tank you can afford (min 55 gallons) so at least if something goes wrong you have some time to catch it and fix it

Note: If I have read you reply wrong I am sorry but this is how I interpret it
Nop bro, we are all here to learn, any way .. mine is a 80 litre 2 ft tank,

The guy who was in the life stock farm showed me his small tiny tank with 2 clownfish inside, he said many ppl buy from him the full set and never complaint,

But i still do not encourage to have a 2 gallon tank, very risky. As what you said
even 1 clown in this size tank is cruel and anyone even thinking about it should think again
Best Regards,
Giritharan

Gills

Small Fish
Aug 14, 2003
The Ozarks
Visit site
I will have to agree that 2 gal is way to small for a first sw tank. My first was a 55 gal and it was a lot cleaning and testing water every day. unless you want to waste a lot of your money and kill all the fish you buy, I say start with a 55 gal. And most important is to do your research on everything you are putting in that tank along with you filteration system. You can never learn enough when it comes to a marine aquarium.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i disagree...it is feasable to do a smaller tank than 55 as a first tank, my first sw is a 20gal and it is going fairly well...just read a lot and go slowly

2 gallons however is way to small for a first tank, if not any SW tank which you want to keep fish in imo

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Githaran - he has tricked you. He can do that with tiny tanks as he has an inexhaustible supply of fish, plus if anything goes wrong he can just pop them into his main tanks. If you own a fish store it is easy to do tiny tanks with daily 50% water changes

Aug 28, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Originally posted by wayne
Githaran - he has tricked you. He can do that with tiny tanks as he has an inexhaustible supply of fish, plus if anything goes wrong he can just pop them into his main tanks. If you own a fish store it is easy to do tiny tanks with daily 50% water changes
Hi Wanye, 'How are you:)' My tank and me are doing well:)

Yea, "This shop ppl", needs to have constant customers coming to buy from their shop, so they try new ways of bad methods to sell. See ya around

Best Regards,
Giritharan

Well any new Fish shop that I go into I usually test them out to see if they are in it just for the money..

Any shop thet would sell me a couple of Clown to put into a 2 gallon is just in it for the money and will not be around for very long...

I have tested 1 shop out here with a Q about Frontosa's and I asked them if I could keep them (3) in a 20 gallon and they said they would be ok in that size tank, needless to say I have not been back to them..

Gills

Small Fish
Aug 14, 2003
The Ozarks
Visit site
Where I am located there are only 2 fish stores in town and they do not stock sw fish, only supplies. So it is hard to take there advise since they wont even set up a tank. I drive almost 2hrs away to the shop that I buy from. I found them a few years ago and that is where I get my fish(or used to, I am setting up a new tank right now) When you find a dealer that you trust and it is truly there hobbie and passion you dont go looking for someone else.

Oct 14, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
I AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO SAY BIGGER IS BETTER. BUT I GOT MY FIRST TANK ON 10-8-03 AND ITS JUST A 1GAL. TANK ITS MY FIRST ONE AND I DONT WORK AT A FISH STORE. AND ITS GREAT NO PROBLEMS IM VERY ORGANIZED I HAVE A BOTTLE OF SALT WATER AND A BOTTLE OF FRESH WATER (EVIAN) AND MY TEST KIT, ITS ALL CYLED SAND, WATER AND LIVE ROCK AND A LITTLE PLANT, SO I A LITTLE SW TANK CAN BE DONE BY A ROOKIE IF YOUR ORGANIZED, AND HAVE 9 HOURS A DAY TO STARE AT IT. (ITS ON MY CUBICLE). SO GIVE IT A SHOT JUST DONT BUY FISH TILL UR READY, TEST TEST TEST.