Help with a new tank

Mar 12, 2008
Hi i was wondering about overpopulation.I have a 12 gallon eclipse tank and i really want to get and pair of dwarf gourami and a couple of school fish prob tetra or rasboras. If someone could help me out and give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. thank you

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Hey Nick, welcome to the tank! For a 12 gallon, I would suggest you get 1 gourami and 4-5 small tetras/rasboras. This will make you slightly overstocked, however it wont be enough that you cant work with it as long as your doing regular tank maintenance.

Please read through this before adding any fish to your tank.

Mar 12, 2008
thx for the help..but i heard that if i pair the gourami (male and female)the male will calm down due to preoccupation.thx for the help though cause i really dont want to stress the fish out and make em unhappy

pwrmacG4

Superstar Fish
Jan 16, 2008
My LFS!
The toughest thing you will find is... Finding a female dwarf gourami. I had 3 at one time.. and bad idea.. one was really agressive towards the other 2.. I took him back to the lfs. I had another die after my tank finished cycling. I would only go with one. I have some other semi agressive fish in there now and he is calm as can be.

what type of filter do you have? size?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
With that size tank, it isn't really a good idea to have more than one gourami. Females are very hard to find in fish stores and the tank is still too small for two fish of that size anyways. Please make sure you are familiar with cycling your tank before you add any fish, there are several links floating around on how to cycle a tank, one of which is below in my signature. :)

Mar 17, 2008
TN
Help?

I have set up a tank and have been seeing alot of ammonia. I've had one fish die to this and nothing seems to be helping. I've cleaned about half a tank of water and it's still there. Any ideas? (I have a 10 gallon tank) Anyone with with any kind of advice would be very helpful ASAP. Cause its obvious i dont know what I am doing..

Tanks.. *PEACE!*

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2008
TN
Im sorry.. Im new, so im not sure I know how to do that. My apology. Im just basically trying to save my fish and need some help.. I put some stuff that came when i bought my tank. My local fish store is not any help.

That's ok. Just trying to clue in the new guy! :D

And yes, fish stores aren't much help except privatly owned ones. Petco and Petsmart don't really have any experts so don't believe everything they say.

The first person who posts in a thread is the one who created it. Nick Luv had a question so he started a thread called "help with a new tank" and posted his question in it. You can do the same. There's plenty of people here who can help you! :D

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
So whos "thread" am I on? Just curious..
Well, let me just say that there are differing opinions about piggybacking on threads. I, personally, do not believe that a new thread needs to be started each and every time someone has a question. Doing so just leads to loads of threads on the same subject. I think it's just fine to add to an old thread if a problem that you're having is being discussed in that thread.

In this case, you might have started your own (but note that your question still got read and got responses).

I would suggest that you start off by reading about cycling. The link in MissFishy's signature (see a couple of posts into this thread) will lead you to some useful information about that. (It's not the only source, but it is the most convenient to mention here. You might also find some in the beginner's section stickies.)

Do you know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are? I would suggest that you post those here (or add your initial question and those numbers in a new thread, if you choose), so that people can get a better idea as to the situation. But, it sounds to me as though you need to be prepared to do lots of water changes. Also, please let us know what fish you currently have in the tank.