Help with Ammonia Levels

May 16, 2006
I am not exactly new to owning fish, as i have had an aquarium in some form or another, for the past seven years. however, for the past two years, i have been a college student and, as such, am required to move about every few months and cannot own a very large tank. i write now, only because i deeply concerned with my pets' current well-being, what with the moving about and the small aquarium they are housed in.

i currently own only a (admittedly deceptively large-looking) five gallon tank (though it actually holds about 6 gallons when full) with a fire-gourami, a killifish, a black moor and a largish plecostomus. these fish, minus the black moor, are the remnants of a much larger tank (50 gal) that i owned previously... (the other fish are kept by my old roommate along with the giant tank.)

the pleco is my main source of concern... having started at a tiny couple of inches when i first bought him (at which time he was housed in another small tank of only six to seven gallons) he grew to a (comparatively) monstrous five to six inches while living in the giant fifty gallon aquarium. after splitting the denizens of the large tank i had believed that my friend would keep the growing pleco (as the large aquarium is needed for the ammonia production of such a large fish) but, after a complicated turn of events, the pleco returned to my care. i am now forced to keep him with my other tank residents in my tiny five gallon tank.... a situation i know is unhealthy for all the fish involved,

due to financial constraints i have been unable to procure a larger tank and no one i know is willing/able to support the needs of my pleco. none of the nearby petstores will buy/take him off my hands and so they have all stayed in this little tank for almost two years now. none of them seem unhealthy or unhappy (the pleco keeps himself mostly confined to the underside of his cave during daylight hours and moves around a bit at night... he is growing slowly but not nearly as fast as he had been in the large tank) but i know that this cannot be a healthy arrangement for them. the moor goes wherever he chooses, the killifish stays near the middle/top (as is expected of killifish) but the gourami tends to sit very still near the tank bottom, amongst the (real) plants. is this healthy behavior?

i replace the filter every month (all that is allowed by my current financial constraints) and i replace about half a gallon to a gallon of water a week with detoxified tap water. also, i add two drops of Bio Safe brand tap water detoxifier to their tank every week as the label boasts that it decreases ammonia levels. is this enough to keep the ammonia at safe levels until i am able to afford a larger tank?

also, i move this tank about once every five months (on average.) to accomplish this i usually drain the tank down low enough so that the pleco is still completely covered in his cave and i move the other fish to a plastic pitcher i have bought for that purpose. they endure these conditions for somewhere between 6-8 hours max (i make sure that the containers aren't sealed constantly so the water can be oxygenated) after which i refill the tank with detoxified tap water (the pleco rarely seems to mind this transition overly much) and replace the three other fish. this is about a 2/5ths to 2/3rds ratio of old water to new water. is this acceptable? what other factors should i be aware of when transporting these fish?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Your doing ok on moving the fish. The only thing I would do or add to the process is I would put the filter media in the tank and just let it float. Having it dry for that long can kill off a good amount of your beneficial bacteria.

You didn't say for sure if you are seeing traceable levels of ammonia?

I can tell you besides the pleco the black more needs to go also. Not only should he be in a much larger tank, he doesn't fit with the needs of your other occupants. The other fish need water that is much too warm for the Goldie to live in long term. Those black mores and all other fancy goldies can get bodys the size of a cantaloupe and larger.

If you are in fact seeing levels of ammonia and this isn't just after you set the tank back up after a move, you should test your tap water before and after adding some conditioner for ammonia. Sometimes tap water has chloramines this is a combination of ammonia and chlorine. When you add the dechlorinator it breaks up the chlorine molecules leaving pure ammonia behind.

Another very STRONG possibility is that your fish produce far more ammonia than your filter can handle. Being a five gallon I can imagine that it's filter is really small. Both the plec and the Moore are poo machines that create a very large amount of ammonia through poo and respiration.

No chemical total gets rid of ammonia, at best it converts it to a non toxic form. Now some chemicals convert it to a form that the bacteria can't use for food, thus in the long run starving the colonies until it dies. As far as the brand you mentiond..sorry I've never heard of it.

No that is not normal behavior for the Gouramis. Sounds like he is stressed. Could be from the ammonia levels.

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Welcome to the tank!

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Misanthrope said:
i replace the filter every month (all that is allowed by my current financial constraints)
It is better to rinse your filter media in dechlorinated water or used tank water instead of replacing it. A lot of the nitrifying bacteria live on it, and you need all of them you can get with such a large bioload in your tank. It's also cheaper.
If you have the kind of filter media that has charcoal in it, after it's a couple of weeks old you can tear a little hole in it and remove the carbon. That's what I do.

is this enough to keep the ammonia at safe levels until i am able to afford a larger tank?
You should get an ammonia test kit, at least, if possible. That way you can be sure to tell if your water change schedule is keeping ammonia at zero. If you can't, your lfs can test your water for you.

Good luck rehoming your pleco (try craigslist and freecycle.org) and keep us posted. :)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Also if you want your pleco to find a good home you can run a donation auction on aquabid. Start the bidding out at a buck. Say that all proceeds will go to (list whom ever you want) MFT. Contact your local hospital pharmacy for a cooler box. They toss them in the trash on a daily basis and are normally happy to let you have as many as you want.

May 16, 2006
thank you all. i will begin re-using my filter. (i do indeed have a charcoal one as described above.) im not sure of the ammonia level and i mean to buy an ammonia/nitrate test kit later this week... about how ought one cost?

they have been in this tank, together, for almost two years. is keeping them in this condition for another year or so an option? i'd very much like to keep them all if possible, and i will be able to maintain a much larger aquarium in a year's time.

there is PLENTY of alge in the tank... every few weeks i scrub it off the corners and front of the tank with a toothbrush ive designated for that purpose... it's darkened the crevices in the little cave and i can see it collecting on the filter.

also, the gourami behavior was a false alarm. i was reporting current behavior and im sure the little bloke was stressed, as we just moved in yesterday. as i type, the gourami is swimming about near the tank top as usual.

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Do you have a PetSmart nearby? If so, you can print out the price of their Freshwater Master Test Kit (online price is $13.49) and they should price-match it in the store. The in-store price is near $30.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1147891761473&itemNo=1&In=Fish&N=2030068&Ne=2

There's no way to be sure how long the fish will sustain themselves in the 5-6 gallon tank. They've been okay in there for a couple years, so maybe another year would be okay...but who knows for sure? ;)
It would be great if you could find someone with a large tank to house the pleco and/or black moor for at least that last year of college, but if not, then testing the water and doing frequent water changes are the best you can do for them.

Good luck! :)