Help with fishless cycling

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Hello*GOLDFISH* .....I've been lurking around here for a lil while absorbing some info, but this is my first post. I have a 2 1/2 gallon bow front aquarium that I'm planning on keeping a betta in. I set everything up a few days ago and left it running, I have been waiting on some supplies in the mail ( a heater and another small silk plant included ), but have been informed that the package was damaged and it will now be another week before I receive the items. I really wanted to get the fishless cycle going, so I guess my big question is.....Can I start adding the ammonia now, and then just add the heater and plant when they arrive, or will I upset the cycle by disturbing the gravel slightly to place the plant? Thanks to anyone who can help me with this one *ALL*

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Thank you :eek:)

Thank you for the prompt reply, Lotus *twirlysmi .....I did in fact receive the heater etc today, so I was able to start the cycle with everything in place :D . I have the temp set at 84 degrees, I added 1/4 teaspoon of ammonia, got a reading of 5ppm. Now I just have to be patient, and wait for a few days before i retest. Thanks again, hopefully all will go well ;)

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
just another thought, you may actually decide you don't need the heater in your small tank... i live in florida, so it's pretty much always hot here of, but i have a 3 gallon eclipse tank that i ended up not keeping a heater in because i have to fight to keep the water under 80 degrees without it. ;)

it does sound like you're off to a GREAT start! hopefully you can get us some pics of your new setup.

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Thanks again for your kind responses *twirlysmi ...Lotus, I took at look at your site...very nice, and good information there :D.....Thank you missfishy, and jessey, yes I do need the heater ( I have it set to 84 ), I'm in New Jersey and have the central air running constantly. I am sooo tempted to test the water, lol, but I'm gonna wait another couple of days, and yes, I will be happy to post pics of my new lil tank and betta when I get him :D