Help with lighting

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Today i bought this Hood + light shown in the link.

PetSmart - Incandescent Full Hoods by All-Glass

It does not come with bulbs and it uses Incandescent bulbs.

PetSmart - Marina Incandescent Showcase Bulbs by Hagen

My question is can Are their bulbs that can give light like a tube light (T5). Sorry i am not that good in "bulb terms". If anyone can suggest a light which is bright enough fot the hood. By the way I bought this hood as it was cheap. I dont mind adding a few more dollars to make it better if i do it my self.

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
The only thing you can really put in a standard incandescent socket is a compact fluorescent bulb (the kind made to replace light bulbs in lamps and stuff).

That's assuming your hood has regular sockets, not the small ones, and there is enough room under your hood to fit them.

If you plan on growing plants - take the hood back and find a different one with a full tube fixture. If you're having a fish-only tank either will work fine, but the incandescents will get much hotter than the fluorescent bulbs.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
I bought 20w flores. bulbs from walmart last sunday. they are not spiral like that pic, but 6 u shaped tubes. very interesting because the tubes are the same diameter as the base, whereas the higher wattage spirals have larger diameters. I got those so they would fit better in the hood.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
hyunelan2 said:
The only thing you can really put in a standard incandescent socket is a compact fluorescent bulb (the kind made to replace light bulbs in lamps and stuff).

That's assuming your hood has regular sockets, not the small ones, and there is enough room under your hood to fit them.

If you plan on growing plants - take the hood back and find a different one with a full tube fixture. If you're having a fish-only tank either will work fine, but the incandescents will get much hotter than the fluorescent bulbs.

Exactly!! you read my mind. I am going with a fish only tank. Its more like a fry and hospital tank in one. But I need good bright lighting as it will be in my room on my desk. I will have to look for those compact fluorescent bulb. Do you a place or any site I can buy the bulb from. It will save me a lot of time in searching. I know i am very lazy. I think they are pretty expensive!

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
GIS Guy said:
I bought 20w flores. bulbs from walmart last sunday. they are not spiral like that pic, but 6 u shaped tubes. very interesting because the tubes are the same diameter as the base, whereas the higher wattage spirals have larger diameters. I got those so they would fit better in the hood.

Walmart hmm. I actually dont like walmart but I will have to go for my fishies. How much did they cost you?