Help With My Betta

Oct 30, 2008
hello my betta is just lying at the top of my tank he's not on his side so i dont think it is his bladder and every now and then he'll move around a bit but since last night he's just stuck up top . i dont know if he's resting as he has been very active since i got him on tuesday im new to this and just need a bit of addvise from people in the know i have a 5 gallon heated tank 79'fh

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hmm yea your right, 76-82d is optimal. Bettas are top dwellers anyway, maybe theres nothing wrong with it at all. It might just be getting used to your tank. Have you cycled it and established good perameters?

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but we've had a similar problem with one of our bettas in the past. It's hard to compare what he used to look like because you've only had him for a few days but when we moved our betta back and forth between apartments he would sorta swell up and not be able to swim back down unless he felt threatened. It went away after a few days. I would say don't worry. Give him a few days to adjust. Our other betta wouldn't eat for half a week when we first brought him home. So yeah, bettas seem to have a broader range of personalities, likes, and dislikes as compared to the other fish I've seen.