Help with new betta and 10g tank

Help with new betta and 10g tank *pics added*

I am going to be putting my betta in one of my 10g tanks. He will be alone except for a plastic bonsai tree in it. The tank doesnt have a heater right now and registers 72 degrees F. I was wondering if that temp is ok and how could I adjust him to the temp? He came in a little plastic cup which I really cant float in the tank. The lady at the store said I dont need filtration or a heater. I do plan on getting a heater and filter very soon though. I want him to leave so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Will I also need anything else in the tank? Such as more plants? or anything?

Last edited:

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
betta doesn't need that really much stuff, but yea a betta could live around 72 degrees, and i think thats all you need for u betta right now

wat im thinking is that i think the tank is to big for the betta, but hes/she is lucky to have the 10g tank by its self

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Get a slow filter, either a bubble filter, a power filter you can set to a very slow setting, or even just an Under Gravel Filter (UGF). Why? Because you will be able to change the water a lot less often (25% at least every 2nd week for a single betta) and it will keep water from smelling putrid and reduce the protein buildup on the water surface.

The advantage of a bigger tank for betta (5+ gal) is that you can use a small heater for it. We are just starting the fall season and if your room temp keeps the tank only at 72F, then what will happen during the winter? Plus, what if you go for a trip and want to turn the house heat down? A $25.00 heater solves a lot of issues. No more than 10w per gallon, 5w per gallon is better.

Bigger tanks give you more options for decorating. Bettas really like tall plants (fake or otherwise) to rest on. They will actually 'sit' ontop of a tall plant and hang-out for hours.

You WILL be tempted to put other fish in a bigger tank with a single betta. I would say ottos for algea are fine, but otherwise try to keep bettas by themselves. They are not fast swimmers and get more aggresive as they age, so they might attach someone or may be the target of nippy fish because of their long fins and slow escape speed!

It is not so much a matter of need for bettas, but more a matter of convenience, appearance and enjoyment.

Thanks everyone.. I did get 2 heaters and two filters and set them in there. I attached a pic of each tank. Please tell me if I can keep bettas in each tank. I bought 1 female and 1 male. Which should I keep in which tank? Thanks again for the advice.

p.s. I will take pics of the bettas when I get them in the tanks.

Attachments