help with new tank setup

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
hi, i am just wondering if any one could help me, i have setup a new marine tank approx 2 weeks ago, and the ph is at 7.1 how can i get this up to 8.2 safely. i have coral gravel and sand substrate, also live rock in tank and sump. i would be grateful for any advice thanks

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
What do you mean by coral gravel and sand substrate? If you would have used a substrate like aragonite it would have automatically buffered the water to the right pH. What size tank and how much live rock do you have?

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
the tank is about 500 litres. at present only have about 25 kg of live rock but with more coming this weekend. as for the substrate it is what the shop advised me to put it. sorry only know it as coral sand and coral gravel. i was told this would buffer the water correctly, but still to no success. the tank however is still cycling.

tuck

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2009
longford, ireland
2500 litres per hour water pump around the tank. no powerheads asyet well again till this weekend when i hope to purchase two new powerheads. considering building one of these algae scrubbers ive seen on this site, would that help. only worry is are they noisey as the water returns to the sump as the tank is in my front room.