Help with new tank

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Hi all. Well, I've been doing my research again and I'm looking at buying a new tank. I know for sure that I want between a 20-29 gallon for a freshwater setup and what I have right now is an eclipse system and I really like it because of the simplicity of it and also because of the compact space it takes to house all of the filter and stuff like that. But anyway, I've been looking at all the tanks I could get for an eclipse 3 online and the 20-29 (29 would be best for me) tanks are all running around at least $150 for the tank alone. I know the 20 would need the eclipse 2 but even that was a consideration. While looking for a cheaper 29 gal. I stumbled upon this

Desktop Aquarium Kits: AquaPod 12 & 24 Gallon Nano Aquarium Systems

I don't know if that link will work but what it goes to is the dr fosters and smith website I was looking at the aquapod aquarium system, the 24 gal compact florescent system. From the pictures and everything it looks like a nano reef kinda thing. My questions are these. 1) can I use this for a freshwater tank and 2) would this or an eclipse tank be better? , 3) if the eclipse is better can anyone tell me where to find a cheaper 29 gallon aquarium so that I can do the eclipse 3? Wow I know this is alot of stuff but thank you sooo much for the help.

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
Well the nano reef is definately a plan for the future but actually right now I am trying to divide my community tank to allow for a breeder tank for my rams so I need a new FW. So now I know that this will work for a FW but is it better or worse than the eclipse system....looks better to me but then why would the eclipse setup be more expensive?

schoch79

Small Fish
Oct 13, 2006
why would the nanocube be more expensive? Oh yeah and I definately want acrylic. I could see glass being cheaper but acrylic 29gal is around 150 then the eclipse hood/filter costs around $100. That's just what I've seen. If you know otherwise please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited: