Help with PH

ferderer5

Small Fish
Aug 16, 2005
Dickinson, ND
Hi... i just got back from the pet store an hour ago and the person there said that i should be using ph lowering stuff in my tank. From what ive read on here, modifying the PH only hurts everything doesnt it? I do tests on the PH of the tap water here and its 7.8-8.0 around there and i realize thats really high, should i bring it down with chemicals or just hope the fish can adapt to this high PH? Need help as fast as possible thanks!

Edit:
But if the fish at the lfs have a ph around 7.0 will the fish be able to adapt to my tank at 7.8 that quickly or will the smaller, less hardy ones die off really fast?

Last edited:

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Yeah don't use anything to alter PH.. its the flucuations of PH that cause more harm then them being high or low.
Plus I really doubt that the petstore uses anthing to alter the PH in all their tanks in the store..

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
50 bucks?Were you buying discus or something?
I have read Discus do need lower PH water.. but I think most people use RO water rather than screw with chemicals. C-man here keeps Discus he could tell you better than I..(assuming you were even buying Discus :) )

I have the same problem, my PH is off the chart (though, my tank isn't completely cycled yet) The PH lower is usually temporaily.. (though you could keep adding doses) I'm confused to as what to do as well - People say "they will adapt".. But if it's recommended that certain fishes should have around 7 and it's 8... then that can't be good!?

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
pH is not as important as everyone makes it out to be as long as it's STABLE. You're wasting time and getting hosed for lots of money if you keep using chemicals to lower pH. Fish will adapt to differences in pH, that’s why we acclimate them before letting them into the tank. I have Clown Loaches in high-pH city water and they’re doing perfectly fine. The pH in my 20g is in the very high 7’s, even with driftwood and CO2.

You’ll do more harm to the fish by regulating pH chemically. Hydrochloric acid is what’s usually used to lower pH, by the way.

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
I completely agree with these guys.. only reason i was told to check ph is to see if it's stable... if it drops suddenly i'm sure i could be in a whole of unhappiness... but my fish are happy at 7.2.. dont know if that's good or bad.. but it's what they are used too lol

dont your fish come with a warranty? wouldn't want them to die.. but they should have a warranty

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
ha ha, Matt, you beat me to it. I was gonna say "read Orion's sticky - it's a good read!"

extreme ph fluxuations are what bothers fish, they will adapt to your ph, rest assured. And I gotta agree with everyone here, ph up and ph down are only good for parting $$$ with your wallet, nothing more. Acclimate them, and you shouldnt have any problems :)