Help with sump plumbing

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
Does anyone know of a good website that tells ho to plumb a sump? This is my first sump and I've never done any kind of plumbing, so I'm lost on all of this. My first question can you just use the Oates two pack they have at Home Depot with purple primer and pvc cement? Or is it even aquarium safe. From the way it sounds you just put the primer on and then cement it right? Also the guy that did my overflow and put my bulkheads in for me said to use the slip on sch 40 pvc. This is prob. a dumb question but how do you connect to the bulkheads, I've attached pics of them the white one is 1.5" and it is for the drain and the black is 1" and it is for the return. Thanks for any help in advance

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
So long as the primer and cement says it's for PVC and is for Potable water it's fine. Pretty sure mine is Oates, I'll try and dig it out tonight and take a look.

For the actual "glueing" prime both parts first, then apply the cement running around the ID of female parts and OD of male parts. Then insert and *twist*, this ensures the cement is distributed around the joint.

The pic's didn't attach so I'm not sure why he would have suggested using a slip connector (I'mm not sure why but I'm thinking Coupling which would be odd...). Anyway, there's 2 types of bulkhead connections normally. One is a slip that fits a pipe size into it's bore and the other is threaded which needs a thread x slip connector to attach to you plumbing.

Chris