Help With Yellow headed sleeper goby (Valenciennea strigata)

Feb 2, 2006
I have a 55gl tank and with 6 fish adding to about 10in of fish. One of which is a yellow headed sleeper goby i have had him for about 2 months the tank looks grate but my sleeper goby dose not look good he looks as if he is starving he has lost a lot of weight. Is there any thing that i can buy to feed him? He dose not try to eat any of the flakes or brine shrimp that i feed the other fish. Please Help i feel that i might loose him or her.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you could try mysis or blackworms i suppose. what was the store feeding it? what else is in the tank? is it possible it is spooked and will not come out during feeding time?

if all else fails, maybe some live brine shrimp will entice it to begin feeding...though brine is low in nutritional value. the problem with these guys iirc is that they feed off the sandbed so if you don't have a lot of good stuff living in your sandbed your goby will not have much "natural" food

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
the only way i could feed mine was with a turkey baster and mysid...i aimed his "lair" when he was there.
This is a big eater that need a load of pods and a large area of substrate...he can be up to 7" long and he's too big for a 55g.
What is your substrate ? Fine sand ? Big chunks ?