HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2003
Maryland
Visit site
My betta fish is dying, but I can't find out what is wrong with him to help him. Ummm....It is lighter than usual (whitish body instead of bluish)

He lays on the bottom and can't seem to right himself!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Mar 11, 2003
Here are some questions that I need you to answer:

*What size of tank is he in?
*How often do you clean the water?
*When was the last water change?
*Do you add anything to the water?
*Is there anything else in the tank/bowl? (plants, gravel, ect)
*Do you notice any physical changes beside the coloration? (white patches, fungus, ect)
*Is the tank in direct light?
*What is the temperature? (if at room temperature, check your houses thermostat)

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Like Alexa said, we need more info obloom! If he is not swimming well, lower the tank water a bit so its easier for him to get the top.

What food and brand are you feeding him, how much and how often? Bettas can get swim bladder issues with overfeeding, screws with their balance and they cannot swim properly. High protein foods (Hakari bio-gold) can bloat them and screw with their swim bladder.

When was the last time he ate? If it was recently, don't feed him for at least a full day, and see if he is pooping.

These guys are tuff, but we need to know more before we can really help.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
how old is the betta? i had a betta was like that, i lowered the water so he'd have an easier time reaching the top for food and air. my betta was fading in color as well and he died a few days ago.

if it is old he might be getting ready to depart:( BUT, my betta lived like that for over a year like that(seemed happy as long as i changed his water and fed him he was fine. i started calling him "frog" because he just sat there like a bump.:D

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Sorry to hear that! It does happen and sometimes you cannot do anything about it. Sometimes fish get a internal bacterial infection you can do little about because it attacks their organs.

My first betta (Robin) died in a simular way, he stopped swimming and faded then died shortly after. It was my 3yr old daughters very first pet, and daddy could do nothing to save him, even though he posted and did everything he knew.

My 2nd fish (Finchy) got a REAL bad case of Fungus a few days after we had him, but this time we where able to save him and he is doing fine.

Give your tank a real good clean. I have acrylic tanks so I use water/vinegar to sanitize the tank and decorations, and boiling hot water (kettle) for the gavel (put the gravel in a bowl) for a few minutes and let it dry completely. If you have a glass tank, you can use a water/bleach combination, just make sure to rinse it really well and let the tank dry in the sun to neutralize any residual bleach.

I would encourage you to try again. It gets better, I promise!